NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 79 Formula **Help Please!**  (Read 4141 times)

79Formula

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
79 Formula **Help Please!**
« on: July 12, 2009, 07:21:40 PM »
Hello all,

Just became a member! I'm excited to have found such a good resource on the web. I am in the process of restoring a 1979 Formula back to original appearances. I have been going over photo galleries and other posts for the 79, but I am still slightly confused... maybe you all can help!

My VIN specifies that the original paint for the car was Black, which is helpful, but doesn't answer some remaining questions:

1.) How can I find out what the original color options would have been for this car? Particularly the striping/decals/carpeting/etc.
2.) What good resource materials are there for this year of Firebird? There are tons of books but they seem very broad, and I am mainly looking for good photography of the late 70's early 80's (interior and exterior).

I am hoping to get the last of the body work done this week, and then it is off for a new paint coat. If anyone has any advice, please post.

Thanks,
79Formula

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
Re: 79 Formula **Help Please!**
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 12:48:53 PM »
Welcome to the Club!!  The boards aren't overly busy, but they do get read!

Your best bet is going to be Pontiac Historic Services.  Not sure what their current rates are, but they can get you an invoice on the car that will tell you everything you had on it, including decal color and interior trim.  You can find their website at http://phs-online.com/ and order from them via fax or snail mail.  They don't take online orders unfortunately, but they are VERY helpful!  They also have reproduction window stickers for many years, but you can only get those if you get the other documentation.

Hope that helps!
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

79Formula

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »
Thanks so much for the response, I have placed the order for my PHS document packet... I can't wait for it to get here!

79Formula

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »
Any idea where I can get an automatic shifter knob for this car? I can't seem to find one anywhere... checked yearone, paddock, fbodywarehouse, etc.

help! :)

gorin002

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »
welcome

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog