NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Cruise control 1984 Trans Am  (Read 5150 times)

bart0977

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Cruise control 1984 Trans Am
« on: August 20, 2009, 03:42:33 PM »
Hello all,

New to this forum. I tried searching for info on my problem but came up dry. I just purchased a 1984 Trans Am. Although not critical, I would like to try and get the cruise control working. I imagine this is a very common problem. Not sure where to begin. Are there any known parts that seem to fail in the system? What is the logical progression to track this down? I do have general mechanical sense, but I wouldn't classify myself as a "motorhead." Thanks for any assistance.

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
Re: Cruise control 1984 Trans Am
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 12:34:48 PM »
First, I would start with seeing if there's a vacuum leak of any sort.  Open the hood with the engine running and see if you hear any hissing.  If you do, you'd need to track it down and fix it.  Cruise is a vac-controlled system and that's why mine failed on my '88.  Next step would be the fusebox, then replace the cruise module.

Hope that helps!
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

bart0977

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »
Well that is certianly a place to start...thanks. Are there any pics or schematics out there that might point me in the direction of what hoses to look for? There are tons of hoses running all over the place. I've also heard to check the vaccum switches on the brake and clutch. Do you know if these are on the inside of the firewall? Again, this is tough without any pictures whatsoever to even know what the switches look like. Thanks.

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 07:44:15 PM »
Well that is certianly a place to start...thanks. Are there any pics or schematics out there that might point me in the direction of what hoses to look for? There are tons of hoses running all over the place. I've also heard to check the vaccum switches on the brake and clutch. Do you know if these are on the inside of the firewall? Again, this is tough without any pictures whatsoever to even know what the switches look like. Thanks.

If I had any pictures, I'd be happy to post them, but I don't. :(  The hissing would be pretty obvious if it's there.  You'd just have to track down the leak and replace that hose.  Vacuum hoses are the thinnest ones, in general, since they're not moving any fluids.
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

bart0977

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »
Problem solved. The switch that gets activated by depressing the clutch pedal (to cut off cruise) was not seated against the pedal while the pedal was in the normal (upright) position. I seated the switch correctly, and bingo, it works. I'm amazed as things don't usually go that easy for me. Thanks for the ideas.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog