NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: '68 Firebird History  (Read 3239 times)

september10

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
'68 Firebird History
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:08:17 AM »
I've had the car for 4 years and have reached the point in my restoration project whether to replace the engine with a new crate version, or rebuild the current. The current engine is 428hp out of, I was told, a Bonneville. Originally the vehicle had a 350hp out of the Factory. I don't know who put in the 428, but was told Dealerships used to perform this conversion as a "special" package before being sold (Royal Pontiac?). If this is the case, I'd prefer to completely rebuild this engine as this car could have special value. Other than ordering the Car's History from Pontiac Historic Servces (ie. Automotive Services, Inc.) what advice can you offer to determine where my car was originally sold and how determine the origin of this 428?
Thanks a Lot!

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
Re: '68 Firebird History
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:46:04 PM »
I, personally, would get the PHS documentation (http://phs-online.com) and see what that says.  That will tell you any special value the car has.  That may also have the dealer conversion info if that was done.

Sounds like you have a nice project!
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

firebird1968

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 11:00:25 PM »
i agree i phs my 68 firebird 400 and got a lot of good info but i got lucky my car came with a good running engine good luck

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 11:00:25 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog