NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: ECM Prom?  (Read 9478 times)

foofdawg

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
ECM Prom?
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:22:08 PM »
My wife and I own a 1992 Pontiac Firebird 6cyl.

The accelerator does not appear to be responding very well, so we took it to the shop. They claim that the "Prom" for the ECM is bad, but they've called all of the dealerships in Florida and are now searching junkyards to locate one.

My wife was in tears when the mechanic told us they couldn't find the part, and almost punched the mechanic at the dealership when he said "You should just junk it". She's spent a lot of time working on the car herself, and it would be a huge loss for her if we can't get it repaired.

Does anybody know where I would be able to find this part? I'll try to check back often, but you can email me at foofdawg AT gmail

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I've found a supplier that can get us the ECM module that will fit in the car, but unfortunately they don't appear to have any way to "flash" the module to make it match our car/model. Does anyone know where we might be able to find an ECM module (or just the prom we need) that is properly flashed?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:35:28 PM by foofdawg »

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
Re: ECM Prom?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:40:18 PM »
If you're willing to do a little work, you can check ThirdGen.org.  They have a forum specifically regarding EMC PROM programming/tuning.  I'd give you my ECM, but I have a V8, so it wouldn't be right for your Firebird.

...and don'tcha hate when a mechanic tells you to junk your ThirdGen?!  >:(
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

foofdawg

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »
Thanks for the response! Sorry for the delayed reaction, but after 6 days and no response, I'd just about given up. I've checked out thirdgen, but it explicitly says "no prom begging". I'd love to learn how to fix it myself, but most of what I saw there in the instructions ended up being gibberish to me. I'm going to try to check the site again at your recommendation, and see if I can't come up with a solution.

Is there any way for someone to copy their working ECM PROM onto a blank or used prom and get it working in my car?

We've now had 3 different ECM modules sent to us by various retailers and mechanics, but apparently none of them had the correct prom inside once we opened it up, so we're now going over a month with only one vehicle. 

I just can't believe it's this hard to find a part for a car that's less than 20 years old! Other than the current issue with the prom/accelerator, she still runs like a champ!

I'm willing to pay good money (more than I paid for each of the ECM modules) if someone can help me find the right part!

If anyone knows how to "flash" or "program" the proms to work with my car, I'd love to hear from you! Willing to trade or pay for true time and effort
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 04:45:30 PM by foofdawg »

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:12:20 AM »
You also have the option of removing your ECM altogether.  They WILL run without them if you have the right setup.  You can run a carb/intake setup with a vacuum advance, again, if you're willing to do the work.  If you don't want to do it, you can usually find a smaller, independent mechanic who can help you get that set up.  I can't stand it when mechanics tell us to junk these cars.  Who gave THEM the right to make that call?!

Anyway, the carb/intake setup takes some tweaking to get it to run perfectly on the low end and WOT (wide-open throttle), but it takes out the electronics end so your car can be worked on by any mechanic (except dealerships...  ::) ) and by yourself.  As for which carb, Edelbrocks are the easiest to understand, work with, and the instruction manual is easy to understand.

I hope you can get this worked out.  If not, there ARE others out there.  There are junkyards all over the country.  You may have to do some legwork...try to find a yard that will let YOU search the yard, rather than relying solely on a computer inventory.  But don't let anyone tell you to "just junk it".  You'll kick yourself for years if you listen.
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

IDONTKNOW

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:51:40 PM »
Hey DAWG Im going to be hitting the junkyards tomorrow im up here at FT Bragg and Ill keep my eyes open If you run across a manufactures technical manual hit me up

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 12:29:44 PM »
Keep an eye out, or better yet, CALL.  ThirdGenRanch.com has a few ECMs, and they seem to get them in pretty often.  Their prices are AMAZING and they ship FAST.  Call them and see if they have any V6 Birds to pull one out of.  If not now, they may get one later and can keep an eye out for you.
Bethany

foofdawg

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 08:53:12 AM »
Thanks for the help all!

We're still on the hunt!

We bought a new car so we don't have to share any more, but still haven't found the right ECM part.

We've now bought 4 different ECM modules that were supposed to have the correct prom inside, but the mechanic says none of them have worked, so we've returned them.

If anyone can find the part we need and it works, I'll send you a finder's fee in the form of a giftcard or something for your time. It's certainly worth it to me to keep the wife happy, and she's still pretty depressed staring at the firebird through the window all day!

Thunderchicken: I'll try contacting thirdgenranch.com, thanks for the tip! A friend of ours mentioned something about trying to go oldschool (carb/intake) with the firebird, but I'm really not mechanically inclined, and I'm not sure we want to take that route if we can avoid it.

foofdawg

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 02:14:29 PM »
BUMP: Still on the hunt for an ECM Prom for our 1992 Firebird with 6cyl and 5 speed.

Finder's fee for anyone who can find the correct working part for us.

Thanks!

ThunderChicken

• It's a sickness...
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »
BUMP: Still on the hunt for an ECM Prom for our 1992 Firebird with 6cyl and 5 speed.

Finder's fee for anyone who can find the correct working part for us.

Thanks!

Good to see that you haven't given up!!  I'm asking my local F-body club for help...I sure hope we can find one for you!!
Bethany

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog