NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1999 Formula noise  (Read 3728 times)

november2006

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
1999 Formula noise
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:08:19 AM »
I am having a problem with my 1999 Firebird Formula LS-1 motor.  When starting the car (after car sits for a couple of hours) I am getting a chirping sound from the motor (sounds like a chirping bird).  I have replaced the serpentine belt, tensioner and the AC belt.  The serpentine belt looked OK. 

The chirping sound goes away after the car is driven 2 or 3 miles.  Any ideas what I can do next to solve the problem?  Also are there any recalls or technical bulletins from GM regarding my problem.  The car has 21,000 miles and I use Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil and filter.  I change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles or 6 months.  The car is driven about 150 miles a week.

Robert Price at price69gto@aol.com.

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: Formula Noise
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 02:54:56 AM »
HI: Robert,
Taking the squeak out of the squawking Formula.
While the engine is running and with a friend behind the wheel, have a friend reeve the engine slightly // try using an auto-mechanics stethoscope too probe the various areas on the engine Water Pump, Power Steering Pump, Generator, A/C. etc. and there surrounding areas; in an effort to isolate where the noise is being generated from, based on what you described it is a possibility that you have a worn Input shaft bearing on one of the mentioned components // the possible culprit, would be your water pump is starting to seize ( rather than your drive belt turning the pulley; itís just slides over it ) ĖTo check the Power Steering with the engine running have your friend turn the wheel left and right abruptly to check the Power Steering belt tension and above test.

Safety First Safety Never Hurts
Anytime you perform any type test with the engine running
Be extremely careful not to get your fingers & hands between the belt ĖĎs, keep them at a safe distance.
Always wear safety glasses.
Donít wear loose clothing or a neck chain necklaces
Wear only 100 percent cotton clothing ( No Polyester ) around heat related items.
Make sure the car is Park or Neutral with the parking brake set
Keep your feet at a safe distance from the carís wheels.
Have a friend or two, to assist you.
Have a fire extinguisher on hand / For just in case. :)

Hope this can be of some help!
                                                             from Justin K.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:14:15 PM by T/A JLK »
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

KAKES

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Re: 1999 Formula noise
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 07:20:03 AM »
HI ROBERT,
 I HAVE A 99 WS6 AND MINE WAS DOING THE SAME THING..CHECK AND MAKE SURE THAT THE BELT PULLEYS ARE TIGHT..I CHASED THAT NOSIE FOREVER AND FINALLY FOUND THAT THE PULLEYS ARE WHAT WAS MAKING MY NOISE...PATTI

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: 1999 Formula noise
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 07:20:03 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog