NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 79 Firebird front fenders  (Read 6167 times)

Robert Swartz

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
79 Firebird front fenders
« on: March 15, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »

I have question regarding fenders. I have a 1979 Trans Am body. I inherited this through a trade. Now, I'm in the process of converting this car into an IHRA stock class crate motor car. Now for the part that I'm sure will anger a few. I want to convert the car to a Formula. I'm removing the air dams (body kit ) and I'm replacing the hood with either a flat hood or the hood with louvers. I am currently working on a deal to acquire both. What I want to know, did any of the Formula Firebirds in the 79-81 model year use the louvered front fenders from the T/A. Unless I really have to, I'd like to keep these. If they were not offered on the Formula, I will have to change them out.

My goal is to leave the car as stock as I possibly can. I have to add a roll bar by the IHRA rules. I also have to connect the subframes as this is a unibody car. I'll have to do some modification to the trunk area for a fuel cell.

I intend to keep and store all the pieces I remove. If I someday sell the car, it could be converted back. I even have the original honeycomb wheels.

Robert Swartz

4SPEED

• NFTAC Member
  • Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
  • Ohio Firebird Member
  • Firebird or Trans Am informaton: '79 white Trans Am
Re: 79 Firebird front fenders
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:43:11 AM »
you will need to swap the fenders . they are trans am only.   I would keep them in , they are called air extractors. there just not for looks.  they vent the heat from the engine bay.  only a trans am guy will know about the hood and fenders from 2 different model birds.

Robert Swartz

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 02:56:30 PM »
Thanks. I suspected as much. I've been scratching around and all the Formula's I've seen had the stock front fenders. I'm going to go ahead and run the T/A front fenders. IF, anyone calls me on it, I'll change them later. I will, as stated, keep all the T/A stuff. Depending on how the car runs, relative to it's index, currently 11.95. I could change it back to a Trans Am. Weight breaks are all about the same for the T/A, Formula or a plain jane Firebird. Just the body kit will rob some air flow as a T/A.

The last time I ran Stock Eliminator, either NHRA or IHRA was in the 70's. It's changed immensely. The last time my partner and I drag raced was in 1988. I also own a 1966 Chevy II bracket car. Back to Stock Class racing, I've seen alot of things that, years ago, would've not been allowed. So, I'll go ahead and finish the car and see where we land.

Robert Swartz

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 02:56:30 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog