NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog

Join or renew for 3 years and receive a free t-shirt
or tech sections on USB flash drive /emailed/CD or past Eagle issues on USB flash drive/emailed/CD
see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

HELP......Dip Stick Location 81 T/A

Started by 81 Bird Fan, June 10, 2010, 11:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

81 Bird Fan

Hi,

First off, I am an ASE Certified Mechanic..But I am a total loss here. For my BD my wife bought me a project...an 81 Turbo TA, which I am looking forward to restoring. The car runs and is drivable, but the dipstick was missing. I changed the oil and filter so I would know how much oil was in the crankcase and I purchased a dipstick on line. I examined pics on line and was guessing as to the general location of the stick. I really didn't think it would be that hard to find. But after removing the distributor, and moving most of the main wiring harness out of the way...I cannot find the access hole for the dipstick. I have lifted the vehicle, looking for the typical GM extrusion on the oil pan for a dipstick, but cannot find one anywhere in the oil pan. I was hoping NOT to have to drop the pan just to figure out where the dipstick goes.

I have no idea if it is the original motor, but it is a 301. The turbo has been removed and the previous owner installed headers,,,which are WAY TOO close to the starter.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

4SPEED

this tube is pressed into the block

tube installed, there is another one on the inside to direct the dip stick to the pan

if you have A/C there is another tube that go's into this one to make it longer.

my motor is a 400 pontiac non a/c but there for the most part all the same. 301 350 400 455

back to NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog