NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Pontiac 400 Engine - Intakes?  (Read 4136 times)

am.mscl

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Pontiac 400 Engine - Intakes?
« on: May 28, 2010, 11:08:13 AM »
No matter how cool this looks to people that look at the car  :hooray:
I have to believe it is way too much fuel being put into the motor. Plus a lot of the other things on the motor just give the feel of show car.
I believe the carbs are both 600 cfms also a PVC is attached to the front vacuum port on the front carb.

The car does run decent and only needs a 30 second run to idle on its own. NOTE: 4 Speed Manual Tranny! I don't know the CAM specs.
No bogging or cutting out. Acceleration comments below.
Every great once in a while it will diesel (2 knocks and shut off)
In 2nd or 3rd gear and low RPMs: punch the pedal: wait a few seconds to get moving
In 3rd or 4th gear and High RPMs: punch the pedal: the front end starts lifting and responsive ass hauling
Start the car up (sitting a few minutes, an hour or two, day or more) 90% of the time have to crank the motor 30 seconds to a minute; with the pedal to the floor to start it up. Pumping the pedal makes it worse.
Another point of interest is it takes some major RPMs to get it moving from a dead stop at a light. (no tach but hearing the motor rev)

I am really thinking of switching out to a Edlebrock 2156 intake with what cfm carb?
Any other known intakes that are good that will still fit under the stock style hood?
Thanks
Ray

4SPEED

• NFTAC Member
  • Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
  • Ohio Firebird Member
  • Firebird or Trans Am informaton: '79 white Trans Am
Re: Pontiac 400 Engine - Intakes?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 12:19:53 AM »
the 2156 intake is the nonEGR . it and it's EGR version is the only one to fit with your shaker setup. with the use of a Q-jet carb. 

I have the 2156 with a 1974 pont 800 cfm Q-jet.  and it works very well.

I have no idea why back in the day guys would take off there q-jet to put a 600 cfm holey on it.  when the q-jet was 750 to 800 cfm.
a good built q-jet is better than any aftermarket carb of its type.

gorin002

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 01:12:51 PM »
no comment than looks as nice motor

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 01:12:51 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog