NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1979 Trans-Am - Hood and Other  (Read 4251 times)

Charles R. Whealton

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
1979 Trans-Am - Hood and Other
« on: November 21, 2010, 07:55:23 PM »
Hey everybody.

I've got a 1979 Trans-Am.  Currently in primer, originally Atlantis Blue.  Pontiac 400 and 4-speed, 4 wheel disk breaks, Hurst T-Tops, but no AC, PW, or PL.

I've already seen we can get door skins and new trunk lids for these, if necessary.  I've been looking at Classic Industries and Performance Years, among others.

How about hoods?  This is one item I'm not SEEING.  On this particular Trans-Am, the hood has got some underside surface rust, but up front and under, it's really iffy.  I think in a jam it could probably be salvaged, but it's really on the fence.  Plus, the previous owner used hood clips.  It's also missing the latch/release assembly.

He also opened up the scoop.  I know this isn't the end of the world and they do appear to make reproduction hood scoops, but do they make just the plastic inserts that he punched out?  I know they also make the assemblies to allow the scoops to open/close upon starting and turning the car off.

Last but not least, I'm curious - what do most of you do when it comes to putting these things back together?  I've seen a drastic difference between reproduction, or compatible (I guess) parts, and AUTHENTIC parts.  Case in point, the sending unit for the gas tank - a SERIOUSLY drastic difference at least where we looked.  Not seeing any Y-pipes to get rid of the "open header exhaust" :-( , but we can get those custom bent.

In summary, if you guys could help me 1) get a clue on the hood 2) Figure out the hood scoop and 3) Let me know what you guys normally do when it comes to authentic versus reproduction parts, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm not planning on trying to win any awards with it, but I would like it to look as close to the way it came out of the factory as possible, and run good, while staying within a reasonable budget.  Are Classic Industries and Performance Years good places, or do you recommend others?

Unfortunately, the previous owner of this vehicle didn't seem to do it any favors, and that's fine - he did own it.  He primered over the beautiful paint, and went so far as to redye the interior (originally Camel) to gray - maybe to match the primer?

I can tell we have a lot of work ahead of us, but I'm still psyched.  It's been over two decades since I drove a Trans-Am.

Thanks for any help...
Chuck Whealton
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:01:49 PM by Charles R. Whealton »

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

1979 Trans-Am - Hood and Other
« on: November 21, 2010, 07:55:23 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog