NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: advice on buying a trans am  (Read 3533 times)

kidflamingo

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
advice on buying a trans am
« on: January 16, 2007, 03:17:08 PM »
I am new to this site but have been pontiac lover since my second car. I have found a 76 TA with a new motor and transmission but the whole inside will need to be redone. The guy is asking a $4000 and I am just wanting to know if this is a fair price. I want to restore the car but not have more in it than it is  worth. Any advice that anyone can give would be great.

Thanks
Jimmy
SC

78tahitman

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
  • Hitman's Trans Am Page
    • Hitman's Pontiac Trans Am Page
Re: advice on buying a trans am
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 03:58:51 PM »
Jimmy,  It is hard to tell you the value of a car without seeing it, but here is what I can offer for some advice.  Anytime you can get a running Trans Am for under $5,000, then usually it is a good bet.  But, what are you actually purchasing?  Is it a real Trans Am, or is it a Trans Am Clone (Look-a-Like).  What do you mean by new motor and new transmission?  Is it the original engine, but rebuilt?... is it an aftermarket or replacement engine? ...... what size is the engine?  The same questions can go for just about everywhere on the car.  Is there any rust or bondo on the exterior?  Is there something wrong that you can't see with the car? was the engine done right?  How many miles on the car?
   I could go on all day with questions about the car, but my advice is to do a little research on the car and the numbers to make sure that the car is actually what he is telling you it is.  Make sure you check the VIN numbers, the Cowl Data, Engine numbers, etc.  You can find alot of that information on my site at www.78ta.com.  You can also contact Pontaic Historical Servies (www.phs-online.com) and get a report from them about the car to make sure that it is a true Trans Am or just a fake.  So, spend a couple of hours looking around the internet to see what you can find out about the car.  Also, maybe if you can tell me some more information about the car or maybe post up some photos of the car it might be a little easier to help with your purchase.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com
1978 Trans Am, 1989 Trans Am, 1998 Trans Am

kidflamingo

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »
Hi Brett,

Thank you for your help. I will try to get some pictures and get them posted this week the weather clears up.

Jimmy

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog