NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: New member with a question.  (Read 3549 times)

donymak

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
New member with a question.
« on: March 20, 2011, 03:56:08 PM »
 I've owned a 75 TA for 25 years and still not sure if it's a bogus TA or if it is real. It has a factory vinyl top and people tell me it's a home made TA because you couldn't order a vinyl top on a TA. I've also been told TA's all came with power windows and door locks along with air conditioning. Mine doesn't have any of these. The origonal owner died in 79 so it has low milage and is in great shape. I found it in a basement where it sat until I found and bought it. Does any one know any thing about TA's with vinyl tops and air cond and power windows and door locks. It also has a 256 rear end which I was told was only optional on formulas. So does any one know what the score is. ??? :-\ Donymak

John3407

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.
Re: New member with a question.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:30:54 AM »
Your best place to start is to decode the VIN number. If you need help with this, you can post or e-mail me your VIN and I will help you decode what I can. At the very least , it will tell us if the car started life as a Trans Am or not. The next, or maybe the first , thing to do is to spend a few bucks with the Pontiac Historical Society. You will get very exact details of what your car was born with. Just a thought, but if you can find the build sheet, all of your questions should get answered with that. I have heard that they maybe found on top of the gas tank or under the seats in the springs. I found my build sheet still tucked in the springs under the back seat, but I have a 79. Good luck.

4SPEED

• NFTAC Member
  • Ohio Firebird Member
  • Firebird or Trans Am informaton: '79 white Trans Am
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:00:35 PM »
yes the vin will tell ya if it a t/a or not. 
you can also buy the PHS for your car.  Google it.  it will tell ya everything GM did to it. and what the dealer did , if any thing.  you can also get your dealer window sticker from PHS Historic Services

John3407

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 02:24:23 AM »
Here's the scoop. In 1975, the second character in the VIN should be a W if it is a Trans Am, a U for a Formula, a T for an Esprit or an S for a base Firebird. Hope you have a W, but a 75 Firebird of any type is a very cool car!

gorin002

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »
welcome to the new member

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog