NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Fuel Injector Replacements  (Read 6819 times)

august2012

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
Fuel Injector Replacements
« on: August 19, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »
I have a question. I have a 1991 Pontiac Formula 1-LE (1 of 47 made). It has a LB9 305 stock Chevy engine w/TPI. I took it in for a tune-up & inspection. The car has 21,200 original miles and it has a slight rough idle (more than the normal engine). They did diagnostics and said I had 4 bad injectors and suggested replacing all 8 for $2000. Needless to say, I almost fainted. I realize the Formula is not driven much, but I don't understand why 4 would go bad all at once. She still makes good power, even with the slight rough engine. Has anyone had a problem like this? I am not as familiar w/TPI vs the carburetor. Thanks for the help!

Cathy Dennision
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by firebirdclub »

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: Fuel Injector Replacements
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »
The Ethanol in today's fuel will cause internal corrosion in the injectors as well. If this happens you'll have no choice other than to replace the injectors.

Jason Woodage
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

firebirdclub

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 05:18:03 PM »
I agree with Jason, they corrode and rust out. My '91 had same problem. But $2000 seems high to replace then. You can get rebuilt Ford SVO blue tops off eBay for under $200. It takes an afternoon to change them.

Bob Record
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 05:18:03 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog