NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Cranks No Start 92 LT 1 Manual  (Read 3919 times)

february2007

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
Cranks No Start 92 LT 1 Manual
« on: February 18, 2007, 11:41:55 PM »
Hi There,
             My 16 year old son bought a 92 Firebird Formula LT 1 with a manual trans as his first car. High mileage but well maintained by one owner. The car started the other day at went to high idle ,2200rpm and stayed there. When it was switched off it would not start again. Cranks good, spark good at the plug, fuel pressure when cranking 47 psi. All fuses are good. Checked injectors no pulse when cranking, just a dim test ligt at both terminals. Grounds are good.

Any clues or advice ?

Thanks,

Greg

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: Cranks - What - No Start??
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 02:05:10 AM »
Just so our mindís are on the same wave -
Assuming when you checked the injector harness you are using a injector test light J 34730-3 or something equivalent, an assuming what you meant ďNo PulseĒ you mean No reference Pulse ( No Blinking Light ) when cranking the engine.
On your engine Check Light; did you put your carís ECM into itís diagnostic mode and did you note any trouble codes 21, 54 etc.?
Did you check the Throttle Position Sensor ( TPS ) Some times if the TPS is stuck and / or if the voltage on the TPS is at 2.5 volts the engine maybe in the clear flood mode which will cause starting problems; also check the Exhaust Gas Regulator ( EGR ) for valve sticking open conditions, it can cause a low air / fuel  ratio during cranking.
If you have a steady test light at the injector harness terminals, and the ground is good check the resistance across each injector. The Resistance should be greater then 10 ohms and the difference between the fuel injectors should be within 1.0 ohms of each other if they are not ok check for any shorts on both sides of the injector harness; with all of the injectors disconnected and the injector harness disconnected at the ECM check at terminal ( C11 Ė DK- Blue wire ) and ( C12- DK Green wire ) Probe the terminals; / on the ECM side  with the test light connected too ground, there should be no light // If light is on, repair short to voltage and replace any injector that measures under 10 ohms. And if booth injector harness- are ok you may unfortunately at this point have a faulty ECM!

Hope This Can Be Of Some Help  :)
                                                          Justin K.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 05:55:21 PM by firebirdclub »
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: Cranks - What - No Start??
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 02:05:10 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog