NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Best Oil?  (Read 4882 times)

69FBCONV

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Best Oil?
« on: February 25, 2007, 05:28:15 PM »
?Best modern oil to use in 69 Bird w/350 (not HO)?
Just name brand (Castrol) 10W-40?
Synthetic? ?10W-40
Temp often 90 degrees in summer, don't turn over engine during winter in less than 40 degrees.
Thanks
69 FB CONV

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: Best Oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 12:07:08 AM »
HI:
Best Modern Oil? // When only the very best will do! / for a 69 Bird.
That is a tough question to answer especially when most brandís of Automotive oil have to meet certain API ( American Petroleum Institute )& SAE ( Society of Automotive Engineers ) standards, among some of the top brands- Pennzoil, Mobil, Castrol & Q- oils just to name a few top brands // However in my opinion I would stay clear from using Synthetic oilís and or Synthetic Blend oilís for the time being do to a, article I found in ďHOT ROD MAGAZINEĒ some months ago their was a brew-Ha, Ha, about using Synthetic base oilís in older Cars with older equip Engines, to make a long story short the article stated that there was some numerous reports of Valve Train failure- premature worn Cams, Lifters etc. // i.e ďHOT RODĒ also went after some Cam & Lifter manufacturers in an effort to get to the bottom of the tragic affair; and donít know if it has been fully resolved as of yet, I also have noticed in recent times that the manufacturers in question( Not To Mention Who They Are Of Course ) ;) have been making some improvements on their oil // Commercial advertising that is;   In my opinion I would only use Synthetic an Synthetic Blend oils in newer Engineís // Such as  an LS1  Engine etc. //  Engineís with Roller Cam, Lifters etc.// Course on the brighter side of the article // after all the mud slinging; Q-Synthetic Racing Oil, got a good review from ď HOT RODĒ for the use on older Engines.
If your determined to use a Synthetic base oil // if I may suggest; I would suggest using a Cam, Lifter oil addtive!

And finally using a regular petroleum-based oil in my opinion is just as good since over a course of 38 years the Oil of today has improved dramatically over the last 38 years and Iím sure your Bird is Happier now with the newer Oilís of today anyway!

Hope This Is Of Some Help  ;D

Justin K.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:13:17 AM by T/A JLK »
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: Best Oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 12:07:08 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog