NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Upgrade and Maintain '78 Firebird  (Read 2388 times)

november2015

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
Upgrade and Maintain '78 Firebird
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:34:15 AM »
I need advice. I have a 78 Firebird, 231 V6, white/maroon. It is all original with just over 30K miles. I am stationed in Texas and while driving home to the east coast, I saw an oil leak while at a Waffle House in Meridian, Mississippi. That was in 1995. She's been parked, safe, at my dad's ever since. It's high time I got her back on the road where she belongs. So, do I keep the 231 (I cannot find any solid references for a decent build) or go V8? (& I must ask forgiveness, I am a MoPar guy ... sold my 72 Challenger a few years back, but have kept the Bird!).

I am really lacking knowledge of the Pontiacs. What recommendations do you suggest to build a good solid ride, that can cruise, go wherever and have decent power? I know it's a lot, but thanks in advance.
Ray VanHorn

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: Upgrade and Maintain '78 Firebird
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:35:03 AM »
If you don't want to break the bank, drop in a crate Chevy 350 and a 700r4 overdrive transmission. If MPG isn't important, swap in a Pontiac 400 or 455 ... just remember to upgrade your front springs. If money isn't an issue do an LS1 conversion. Although on such a low mileage original car ... you could keep the original engine and get a custom cam, small overbore, install a 4 barrel intake and carb, upgrade your exhaust and either keep the original transmission or swap in an overdrive transmission.

Chad Hollis
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: Upgrade and Maintain '78 Firebird
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:35:03 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog