NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Production numbers for a 1980 Firebird Formula turbo  (Read 11947 times)

kellyracing

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Production numbers for a 1980 Firebird Formula turbo
« on: March 06, 2007, 10:09:57 PM »
I just bought what I thought was a 1980 T/A 4.9L turbo. The car doesn't have any groungd effects. It has been painted and I thought maybe it had been wrecked. I found a build sheet. It says the car is a W66 formula package. It also has the WS6 performance package and came with T tops and n90 aluminum wheels. It shows a LU8 turbo 301 V8. My question is how can I find out how many of these cars where built. Is it rare. I thought the only car with the turbo was the T/A. I have never seen a formula with this style hood until the late 80's. Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 11:00:52 PM by firebirdclub »

blue81ta

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
Re: Production numbers for a 1980 Firebird Formula turbo
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 09:51:51 AM »
In 1980-81, the 301 turbo V8 was an option on the Formula. Only Formulas(and Trans Ams of course) with the 301 turbo had the off set hood bulge and "turbo" wheels. There are some turbo cars out there with the snowflake wheels. The WS6 performance package was also an option. I have checked a few sources and the total production numbers for 1980 Formulas is 9356. There is no breakdown for turbo and non turbo Formulas.

A 1980 Turbo Formula with the WS6 package. I think it's a safe bet that less than 1000 were made. This is just a guess. I didn't see many of them when they came out and talking with Firebird fanatics on other websites, they say the same... low production numbers... just can't find an exact number. Hope this helps. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 09:59:18 AM by blue81ta »
Keith
1981 Trans Am
2001 Firebird

My safe haven from all of life's bs

kellyracing

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 10:21:58 AM »
I really appreciate the help. I am going to contact PHS and see if they can break it down further. I have found one car for sale. The guy says that there were 1245 produced. His car is a hard top and has turbo wheels,

january2008

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 02:35:40 PM »
Dear Kellyracing,
I just read and e-mail that you responded to almost nine months ago concerning the production numbers of an 80 turbo formula.  I purchased one in June and am doing a complete restoration.  I would be very interested if you ever did find out how many of these are out there.
We are just finishing a complete engine overhaul and the only real problem I had was finding a new set of pistons.  We got the job done, and found a great source for the "turbo piston" with the help of a man named Joe Richter (301T Guru), but as I said, not to many people knew much about the 301T until we found Joe.

J & C

blue81ta

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 03:32:48 PM »
Yes sir... Joe Richter is the 301 man !!

If you don't already know, check out Joe here:

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=421.0

and here:

http://www.301garage.com/index.htm
Keith
1981 Trans Am
2001 Firebird

My safe haven from all of life's bs

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 03:32:48 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog