NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1967 2-speed AT shifter rebuild or replace sources  (Read 1802 times)

february2017

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
1967 2-speed AT shifter rebuild or replace sources
« on: January 05, 2017, 09:11:56 PM »
The 2-speed T-handled AT shifter in my '67 326 Firebird is really sloppy and loose. The transmission shifts fine, but you have to search for "drive"or"reverse" as the console indicators don't line up with the transmission gear engagement. My mechanic says the tranny and linkage is tight, but the shifter is worn out, beyond replacing the bushings. Looking for a rebuilt or new replacement for the shifter. Any advice would be appreciated.

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: 1967 2-speed AT shifter rebuild or replace sources
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 05:49:22 PM »
There's people online that have NOS shifters but they are going to be pricey.  I would buy one from Classic Industries and keep the OEM one for posterity. The aftermarket shifters like B&M are sloppy also in my opinion but the OEM style Classic Industries shifters are OK.

Scott A Jones
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: 1967 2-speed AT shifter rebuild or replace sources
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 05:49:22 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog