NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Performance help  (Read 8026 times)

formulaguy1981

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Performance help
« on: March 21, 2007, 10:03:40 AM »
I have a '91 Formula 5.0 with the 305 v8 automatic... what kind of performance upgrades can I make to give more power without replacing motor I have only got like 40000 miles on it..... please contact me at jlaudioguy@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 06:53:33 PM by firebirdclub »

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: Performance help
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 09:18:49 PM »
HI:
HELP ! HELP !  / Performance // More Power here; If You Please.
Well for starters if I can suggest to you if I may / You mite want to try a better breathing tactic on your Firebird Formula such as a K&N air filter it can increase horsepower and acceleration while providing excellent filtration.
Headers such as SLP Headers they can help produce more torque and horsepower then your standard OEM. Headers.
To increase ( HP ) Horse Power,
You may want to try a spot of Nitrous ( NOS ) to give your engine some extra zip!
Later you mite want to change the Rear Gearing it will also give your car an extra boost!
You may also want to change the ECM Prom ( Chip ) to a { Performance Chip }  from Hypertech or Jet Performance to give your engine some extra pop!

Hope This Can Be Of Some Interest & Help To You… :)

Justin K. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 09:20:38 PM by T/A JLK »
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

02ws6collectoredition

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 09:19:34 PM »
if you have enough cash you can go the heads,intake,header route.the best low buck performance route is k&n filter,flowmaster cat back,3.42 or 3.73 rear gear,and a good shift kit like a b&m trans pak.nitrous is the best bang for the buck,but if you get greedy it will bite you. also a performance magazine performed a test a few years ago where they replaced the motor oil,trans fluid,and rear end oil with synthetic fluids (same weight as gm recommends)and they picked up something like 7 h.p. on the dyno.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 12:41:00 PM by 02ws6collectoredition »

rangernut09011980

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:03:44 PM »
here is what I have for mods on mine

Edelbrock Cat forward (headers and pipes to cat)
March under drive pulleys (v-belt style) if you dont have it i also recommend electric fan it will free up a few extra ponies
hypertech ignition AND 9mm Plug wires
edelbrock 1405 carb
edelbrock performer intake (others WILL NOT fit under stock hood) essential if running Factory functional cowl hood
AC delco R43ts spark plugs (it is tight in a couple of spots to the headers but no burnt boots yet)
K&N air filter (I am still using factory air cleaner housing due to functional cowl hood)

I also have a 1993 5.7 ltr in mine as well due to the fact there was no engine in my car when I bought it  and alot of of the parts were already included with the car  I did add the Intake and Carb as well as the 9mm wires but the Hypertech system, cat forwardsystem, and underdrive pulleys came with the car

Hope this helps

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:03:44 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog