NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Remote starter  (Read 4886 times)

IndianaKITT

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Remote starter
« on: March 25, 2007, 12:24:11 PM »
On our '83 Trans Am,  we're thinking of getting a remote starter/ door lock kit.  It has the 305 Cross-fire injection.  Lately on cold starts I have to push the accelerator down a little ways to get it to fire and keep running for the first 5-10 seconds.  I'm guessing that with a remote starter, I would have problems getting it started, unless there is a way of remotely giving it some pedal.  Am I understanding those things right?
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 12:32:47 PM by firebirdclub »

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: Remote starter / & O.T. Problems Getting It Started ??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:07:19 AM »
HI Again :
Problems Getting It Started??
Yes you have an understanding, however getting down to the matters at hand.
Assuming you did the basic preliminary; and checked your “ECM” / for an Engine Check Light(Service Engine Soon ) Light operation, and you checked for the code 12 operation, an there is no trouble codes stored in the Computer Command Control System; here are some inspections & test procedures that you may want to consider // they are as follows:

1.Check for vacuum leaks CFI.  Engines can be a little temperamental when cold with Vac. Leaks.
Vacuum hoses for splits, kinks and for proper connections. { See your cars hose routing chart tune-up label. }

2.Check for Air leaks at the throttle body mounting, and at the intake manifold mounting areas.

3.Inspect the ignition wires for cracking, hardness, proper connections and check for any carbon tracking, Repair and / or replace as necessary.

4.Check the engines ignition timing.

5.Inspect the Distributor Cap for traces of damage and / or carbon tracking.

6.Inspect the Distributor for worn shaft, bare and / or shorted wires.

7.Check the Distributors pick up coil and connections / and resistance / Resistance should be from 500-1500 ohms.

8.Remove spark plugs and check for cracks, wear, improper gap, burned electrodes, heavy deposits.

9.Inspect the TPS  visually for sticking  or binding.

Hope This Can Be Of Some Help To Make Things Right!  ;D

Justin K.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:11:08 AM by T/A JLK »
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

IndianaKITT

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Re: Remote starter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 06:39:56 AM »
Justin
Thanks for the to do list.  I didn't mention that immediately after cold start, the idle is pretty "lumpy", as if it has a big cam, but it's the stock one, according to the previous owner.  It smooths out and runs fine after a minute, or so, and on any subsequent warm startups. 

More history: We bought it in October.  When I test drove it it ran pretty rough and would hardly idle.  Our local Pontiac guy has been around for years and at first thought there was a manifold leak.  He replaced the intake gaskets, but that didn't solve it.  He ended up diagnosing a weak fuel pump that caused it to run lean.  A new pump solved that problem, and it started/ran fine.  Now in the last month, the hard cold start has shown up.  I can't make a true estimate of gas mileage, we've been making short runs, with an occassional trip of 20-40 miles.

Does that give a better explanation?

thanks for the tips!!
Lynn

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: Remote starter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 06:39:56 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog