NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 2002 WS6 Rear Suspension Problem  (Read 603 times)

TConnus

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • Firebird or Trans Am informaton: 2002 WS6 Trans Am
2002 WS6 Rear Suspension Problem
« on: February 20, 2019, 01:20:30 AM »
Anyone have any suggestions for resolving a loud thunk from the right rear wheel of my 2002 T/A WS6?  It occurs whenever going over a significant bump or pothole in the road - a resounding thump that can be very loud, depending on speed, and sounds an awful lot like bottoming out.

I've had the rear shocks and coil springs replaced, and both of them improved the ride quit a bit, but only reduced, didn't eliminate the thump.  Still occurs at anything over 25 MPH.

Neither my regular mechanic nor a suspension specialty shop have been able to identify the source, much less fix it. 

Anybody with similar experience of the problem and managed to solve it?

august2019

• A Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
Re: 2002 WS6 Rear Suspension Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 07:59:20 AM »
I see that this is an old post but I know that  my T/A and many others have the rear bump stops replaced.  Since the GM part is hard to find and very expensive I used stops from a Jeep that are widely available. You only need to trim off a small section to make it fit- very east with a cut off wheel.  The stops wear out on these cars and were probably defective. Good luck

september20

• A Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 10:19:31 AM »
check to see if your spare tire is secured properly. I had that problem once. made a clunking noise.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 10:19:31 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog