NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 69 Firebird gear shift knob removal  (Read 708 times)

august2019

• A Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
69 Firebird gear shift knob removal
« on: August 17, 2019, 06:01:16 PM »
I just acquired a 1969 Firebird with 350--350.  The gearshift button is incorrect for this year so I wanted to change it to.  The internet indicates that the button will simply pop off and expose the c-clip and other shifter mechanics.  Problem is I cannot get the button off.  I have damaged the button and maybe even the knob trying to pry the button off using a sharp pick and alternately a very small screw driver..  Any suggestions to ease this button off without further damage? 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 02:49:07 PM by firebirdclub »

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: 69 Firebird gear shift knob removal
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 02:50:41 PM »
You may want to post this on our Facebook group where there is more activity so you will be more likely to get a response.  Our Facebook Group is at www.facebook.com/groups/firebirdclub
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

august2019

• A Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:19:00 PM »
Finally got it appart.  So for anyone in the same situation I offer the following.  The button from later years was too big and the past owner  or his 'mechanic' had forced it into the knob.  It was way to tight to pry off.  Had to remove the snap ring at the bottom of the knob, pull the knob down hard and force the button up and off.  Then installation of the new button was easy.  New button works great.  Hope this helps someone else with this problem.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:19:00 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog