NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Alternators Going Out  (Read 476 times)

august2020

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
Alternators Going Out
« on: August 03, 2020, 01:32:51 PM »
Hello everyone, I own a 2000 Trans Am with an LS1. This car is going through alternators like there is no tomorrow, 3rd one in two years. Anyone know of any common electrical issues our cars face that would cause this. The rear window defogger gets turned on and the battery voltage drops down into the 12s.

Damien Nogueras

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: Alternators Going Out
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 01:46:05 PM »
My original went out on my 99 probably five years ago. I took it to a local guy who repairs alternators and the rectifiers were bad so I had him rebuild it. In the meantime I put in a Napa alternator and left it in the car and have not had a problem with it since. I have the repaired original just in case I ever need one again.

Thomas Castillo
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: Alternators Going Out
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 01:46:05 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog