NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Premium Gas?  (Read 467 times)

november2020

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
Premium Gas?
« on: December 01, 2020, 11:44:20 AM »
I had a strange issue with my '98 Firebird. It has the V6. I am the second owner and it has always been in the Las Vegas area. I filled the tank with Premium gas- and almost immediately started having stumbling in acceleration. It has worsened to the point of barely running. I noticed a hissing coming from the fuel cap with a pronounced gas odor. The cap itself was hot and a huge rush of vapor escaped when I opened it. Any ideas?

Robert Bean

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: Premium Gas?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 11:47:16 AM »
It could be the evaporative solenoid not closing and allowing vacuum to keep being pulled on the tank. Test vacuum as itís supposed to pull at startup?

At least thatís the first thing I would check. After that you may want to check the gas cap and then the fuel filter.

Ken Walczak
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: Premium Gas?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 11:47:16 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog