NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Doors Lock Switch Issue  (Read 94 times)

february2021

• A Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
Doors Lock Switch Issue
« on: February 21, 2021, 09:04:37 PM »
Hi,  New to the club,  just joined,  have a 84 Trans Am.  I am having an issue with the door locks.  The door lock switches do not work.  I have replaced the switches,  the switch connectors and wires,  and the door lock actuators (and checked the fuses that I thought may control the locks).  The door lock switches have 3 wires...a black/Blue/Orange.  In troubleshooting,  I have found if I cut the wires going to the lock switch and place the black one to ground,  and hit the Orange and Blue (bare wires) together,  the door lock actuator will LOCK the doors.   But I cant swap the wiring around to make it unlock?  When I connect everything back up,  the switches do not work.  I replaced what I said above on both Driver and Pass.  So I am thinking there is some kind of controller somewhere else in the car i am missing?  Please help.

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: Doors Lock Switch Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:18:57 AM »
Look between the drivers door and the body at wire harness pass they for a broken wire.

No name given.  The february2021 id is used by all the club members.

Michael Liberman
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:24:58 AM by firebirdclub »
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

firebirdclub

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 10:19:44 AM »
IMPORTANT NOTE:
The actuator device MUST be absolutely level [horizontally] in order to operate.

You did not provide your name.  Your id is used by hundreds of other NFTAC club members.

Kevin Brusnahan
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:23:46 AM by firebirdclub »

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

february2021

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 04:49:35 PM »
Thanks for the Reply's,  the names Sam Justice,  I have not received my log on info yet.  I saw somewhere where it would arrive via snail mail? ( I got the magazine )   So,  The actuators are good and horizonal and as I mentioned LOCK when the blue/orange wires are crossed.  So I don't think that's it.  In searching for a broken wire,  I came across what looks like a relay.  ( see attached pic ) it has the same color wires as the lock switches.  I could not find any broken wires,  this car is in great shape,  it only has 40K original miles and looks garage kept.  I just bought a few months ago,  its a 15th anniversary edition.   So if that is in fact a relay,  now I need to find one.  what do you guys think?

february2021

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 05:32:35 PM »
So after I found this relay,  I was wondering why it was hanging loose.  I also didn't see a black wire coming out of it....so I assumed it needed to be grounded.  I scratched the base against the chassis and hit the switch and eureka,  they work.  So I mounted the relay on the chassis and now everything is working like normal.  Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.   Although I started looking for a replacement relay,  just in case one day I needed it,  and I cant find one anywhere?  Any suggestions?

firebirdclub

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 11:27:57 AM »
You would not be able to post on this board without the login info.  You logged in and posted as february2021.  Membership cards, decal and dash plaques are sent out by postal mail by the volunteer staff at the end of each month. Not possible to send those items electronically.

You also may be able to get more and faster replies to your questions by posting on our Facebook group page at www.facebook.com/groups/firebirdclub .   More people and members seem to be more active on that group.  Much more than on this Message Board.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:33:13 AM by firebirdclub »

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 11:27:57 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog