NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Seized Engine?  (Read 5621 times)

insomnia

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Seized Engine?
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:15:44 PM »
This may sound stupid but I think my 305 seized up on me.  Now I can get the engine to turn over by rotating the flywheel where the transmission mounts, rotating by hand.  It was hard to rotate at first but got a little easier.  Is it seized and if so is there anything I can do to save it?  I've heard of some seize-free oils available. Any comments?

Thanks

Craig
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 10:51:45 PM by firebirdclub »

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: Seized Engine?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 09:25:33 PM »
Determination is not stupid!

No oil products will cure an Engine seize-up // But if you are willing to spend a few bucks for a prelude to a repair; or to a Replacement of the Engine, and you think the engine is seizing try doing a few preliminary checks // Do the Following:

1.Remove all the Spark Plugs & the Oxygen Sensor.

2.Disconnect the fuel Pump.

3.With a oil lube can shoot some SAE. 5W-30 oil in each Cylinder

4.Check as you did before (By Hand ) Rotate the flywheel 4 complete times [ you are checking for an- obstruction etc.; or  Engine Valves open when they should be closed!](Engine Jumped Time) Stiffness doesnít count {Main Bearings and /or Connecting Rod Bearings an Cylinder Walls Can be scorn at this point.

5.With a Helper Tap into the Engineís Oil Pressure line with a Oil Pressure Gage // With the Oil Gage attached; have your Helper Crank the engine continually for 2,or 3 minutes at about 800 rpm. Cranking (Note: A fully Charged Battery is Needed ) The Oil pressure should climb to around 30psi. at cranking // { Note: the psi. if it is  10psi. or less, you found the culprit [Defective Engine oil Pump!]

Note: Depending on how long the engine has been running with a Defective Oil Pump it is still open for debate / The best case you will find out whatís wrong / in the worst case your still left up with the decision on weather to take the chance on replacing the Oil Pump or replacing the Engine // And if you have good oil pressure you have an Engine that may have Jumped Time! // (Also check to see that the Distributor hold-down clamp mounting bolt is not loose which can cause the Engine Timing to advance on itís own {Timing to much advanced can assimilate an Engine seize-up }  // In either case you have some Engine work ahead

Hope This Helps

Justin K.  :)

E- mail me to let me know how you made out with the Test!   
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:58:48 PM by T/A JLK »
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

insomnia

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 04:39:38 PM »
Thanks for the help but I may have not given enough info.  Trying to start with the starter only moves the belts about an inch.  So, I cannot run the engine to test oil pressure.  if I can rotate it by hand though there would be no obstructions right?  I rotated it about three times but it was not easy.  and I had to do it where the transmission mounts.  is there an easier way? what should I do? If I get it running I may be able to keep it.  Or at the very least be able to sell it for more. Help

craig

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 03:50:59 AM »
Hi: Craig,
Based on you new info.
If you can rotate the Engine by hand try checking the following:

1.Starter.

2.Battery.

3.Battery Cables.

To keep costs down, take the Battery & the Starter too a local Auto-zone Parts Store or a parts store that has a tester; // they have testerís that can check the Battery & Starter for you, to see if defective, also check your battery cables for a good connection and check for a good ground!  ;D

Hope This Helps.
                                                                     Justin K.
P.S. That is a real nice looking Car!  :o
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 03:50:59 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog