NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Distributor Module  (Read 115 times)

may2021

• A Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
Distributor Module
« on: April 22, 2021, 11:44:47 AM »
I previously asked for  help nad I received it for my Ď79 Formula, 301, 4-bbl, BW 4-spd manual transmission.

The car starts GREAT! Even in this recent sub-zero weather weíve been experiencing, it fires right up. If I drive it while itís still at fast-idle (approx 1000-rpm), everything is great. Everything is fine until the engine warms up and then it starts spitting and sputtering and bucking and the tach swings from 0 to whatever. While itís doing this, if I take my foot off the gas, it idles like a purring kitten at 500-650rpm.

As soon as I step on the gas though, itís back to spitting, sputtering, backfiring, lurching. Eventually, if I just keep going, itíll start running fine again. I know some of the things it MIGHT be, but if anyone can say with a good deal of confidence what it probably is, please chime in. Basically, if youíve experienced the same exact thing and itís fixed now, please let me know the problem/solution. THANKS!!!Ē

Well, turns out the problem was...drum roll...a bad distributor!! I had previously replaced the cap, coil, and rotor and nothing appeared to be ďbrokenĒ. I guess this distributor (original to the car) was just too old, worn out and corroded to function properly (kinda like me).

Dropped a new Cardone distributor ($115 from Partsgeek) in and all problems gone.

Mo Chinski

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: Distributor Module
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 11:53:56 AM »
Did you check under the module for grease/heat sink in the new distributor? I have bought probably 50 of these cheap parts store/ebay distributors and alot of them forget to put that under the module which isnít a great quality one anyway....then your car just dies/no start or acts up sputtering again.

I started swapping these cheap foreign modules out for a msd or accell before I even put it in the car. Itís another 50 bucks but I havenít had a problem since. And itís still cheaper than buying a msd distributor for a Pontiac.

Kat Sydow
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: Distributor Module
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 11:53:56 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog