NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Firebird to Trans Am?  (Read 252 times)

august2021

• A Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
Firebird to Trans Am?
« on: July 12, 2021, 10:39:58 PM »
I have what may be a stupid question, but I need some advice.  I have a 2001 Firebird, 6 cyl. totally mint.  I have had her for 18 years, my dad helped me buy her, and I lost him a year ago. I do not want to sell her, but I would love a Trans Am. Can I drop a new motor in? I just want more power and sound. Suggestions? Please and thank you.
Sue Benoit

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: Firebird to Trans Am?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 10:52:12 PM »
It is not as big of a deal as you may think. It can get expensive if you pick the wrong shop or do not have the ability to do it yourself.

You do have to change cross member from a V6 to an LS. It is the perfect time to upgrade to a performance one if the budget permits. Also not cost effective to go LS1 unless you find a deal. You can find a 4.8 or 5.3 for a lot less.
Have you considered mods on your V6? Depending on the shop that does it, you’re looking at between 6 and $10K..

Louis DeRienzio
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: Firebird to Trans Am?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 10:52:12 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog