News:

NFTAC Technical Sections (Vol. II & III) - copies of tech topics published in the Eagle from 1998 to current on CD-Rom/USB drive/emailed, indexed: $20, printed: $30 (see club store on www.firebirdtaclub.com for ordering details)               

Main Menu

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog

Join or renew for 3 years and receive a free t-shirt
or tech sections on USB flash drive /emailed/CD or past Eagle issues on USB flash drive/emailed/CD
see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Parking Brake Question

Started by november2021, November 15, 2021, 12:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

november2021

I have a caliper/parking brake question on my '79 Trans Am with 4 disc brakes.  I have been trying to get the rear brakes to engage fully after bleeding over and over. The brakes are hard when motor is off and 3/4 down when on ...  now. 

I have been trying to figure out if in fact the pistons engage when I move the parking brake lever with vice grips. It does not seem to as wheels still spin.

The brake pads move some when the pedal is pressed but the brake feels weak. The complete system is new and there are no leaks.
What am I missing knowledge wise with this parking brake issue?
Tony Vlassis

firebirdclub

I had the 4 wheel disc brake option on my early 3rd generation car and over time the factory calipers just froze up.  I almost could not stop in the rain once.

I ended up putting new rear calipers on.

Jeff Inwood
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

back to NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog