NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Problems with Ignition lock on my '75 FB  (Read 2796 times)

Lock-Smith

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Problems with Ignition lock on my '75 FB
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:27:47 PM »
Hi there,
I'm new to the site and wondered if I could already ask a favour. I'm trying to replace my ignition lock and have run into a bit of a wall. I've read the manuals on how to remove the old one but don't understand what they mean by 'breaking the housing flash'? Has anyone done this before? I know that '77 models have a screw that unfastens the lock but pre-77 doesn't which is very frustrating. Any help would be great!!!!

L Smith

Bill Simcox

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: Problems with Ignition lock on my '75 FB
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 08:33:52 PM »
Lock-Smith

Shop manual jargon referring to housing flash relates to the residual material left when the casting was produced. You can see these marks on blocks- heads- water pumps and most anything cast for the automotive industry regardless of the type of material used. (i.e steel, aluminum, plastic etc.) As they are usually harmless and contribute to the "patina" of a particular part you will see them everywhere. Be most careful in "breaking" off the flash material because you can easily break off a lot more than you would like. I find that most of the time an emery board or small file works very well. Patience being the key virtue here. If you have a Dremel and are adapt at using it, that would be my tool of choice. Good luck and Happy Motoring!

Bill

Lock-Smith

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 12:33:54 PM »
Thanks Bill, I amy just give that a go. I'll let you know if I have any success! Thanks again!

Andrew

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 12:33:54 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog