NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Paint Stripping  (Read 289 times)

february2022

• A Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
Paint Stripping
« on: February 06, 2022, 10:51:00 PM »
This is my 1978 Firebird TA and I am restoring it. Iím getting to the point of actually putting it back together (these pictures are from when I started taking it apart). For the paint Iíve had several people tell me to strip the whole car and start with fresh primer. Others have told me to use the paint already on it as a primer since I am planning to keep it black.

There is a lot of rust and people have told me to only take paint off of the rust and clear surface rust and repair anything rusted all the way through then fresh primer that area. I am at a loss of what to do and really need opinions or even stories or anything you have done when painting a car.

Makayla Smith

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: Paint Stripping
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 11:41:03 AM »
Take her down to the bare metal. You should be able to do this in sections so you will not have too much of the car exposed to the elements.

Make a note of all areas of cancer bad body work etc. This will give you an idea of how much sheet metal will have to be replaced and youíll be able to see the areas where you need to do your body work.

You can treat the bare steel with Ospho rust remover, a chemical that will kill the rest of the rust that you canít remove and give you a temporary protective coating on bare steel. This chemical is a phosphoric acid and modern primers do not stick to it so youíre going to have to really clean the surface really good with mineral spirits before you shoot it with an epoxy primer which is a sealer because itís non-porous.

If you donít have a way to shoot with a paint gun, Eastwood products they make an epoxy primer that you can apply with a foam roller.

Most if not all epoxy primers will give a time frame in which you can top code it maybe around 7 days or so. Anytime you go beyond this 7 day window all you have to do is apply a reduced coat of epoxy primer after scuffing the existing primer that has been applied with Scotch Brite and it will reactivate it and you will have a new window in order to top coat it. You cannot apply modern paint and finishes on top of the lacquer base paint so youíre going to have to remove all the old paint.

William George
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: Paint Stripping
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 11:41:03 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog