NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: seeking advice!  (Read 5723 times)

bigt0123

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
seeking advice!
« on: May 15, 2007, 11:23:23 PM »
so i got my 91 trans am and it has a problem with stalling.  sometimes when i start it up it will just instantly die unless i give it a little gas, but then when i shift to drive it will just die anyways. also when im just driving foot on the gas and everything it will also just die, only happens occasionally but is really inconvenient haha but i was just wondering if any of you have any ideas what might be causing it. i have a few ideas but just looking for some other opinions

april07

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
Re: seeking advice!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 09:06:08 PM »
This may not be of much use, but I also have a VW that had intermittent stalling/dying problems - twice in the 15 years I  have had it. Both times turned out to be electical. Once a fuse pump relay (would only die once warmed up), the other time it was the Hall sensor in the distributor (would only die when cold). Both were a pain to track down!!

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »
HI:

Put a stop on the stall on that ‘91 Trans Am.

Assuming you did the preliminary and you checked for the “Service Engine Soon” Light and you put your car’s ECM into it’s diagnostic mode; (Flash Code 12 / ECM functional) did you note if any trouble codes are being stored; code 44, 54 etc.?

Please be at liberty to perform the following test inspections see below:

1.Check for Loose or Faulty Electrical: at the Distributor, Coil, Alternator ie.    (Generator) and fuel pump relay and fuel pump .

2.Check for Insufficient Fuel Flow and Fuel Pressure.

{Connect a fuel pressure gage the pressure tap found on the Fuel Rail an check the fuel pressure it should be around 47psi [325kpa], if the fuel pressure is around 41psi [280kpa] you may have a faulty fuel pump or you may have possibility of a clogged fuel filter or a restricted fuel line, you can also try placing a container under the disconnected fuel line an note the fuel flow from the line if it appears weak check for the possibility of a clogged fuel filter or a restricted fuel line.}

3.Check for Vacuum Leaks: at the Fuel Injection / Intake    Manifold & surrounding areas, check all Vacuum Hose conditions / use a vacuum pump if needed an/or when in doubt

If the problem only happens occasionally in my option at this point I am leaning in the general direction that it is electrical / but do the above test in an effort to sort this problem out.. 

Hope This Can Be Some Extra Help  ;D

Justin K.
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

ttopformula89

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 07:32:48 AM »
I have had that problem twice with my 89 formula, each time it turned out to be my tps (throttle possition sensor) Mine would run fine as long as my foot was on the pedal, but when I would stop at a light and remove my foot it would pulsate between 400-1000 rpms and stall, I replaced the tps and adjusted it as per the specs in the manual and it was good as gold. Hope that will help.

Ken

january2010

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:17:35 PM »
Hi, when I bought my "91 the previous owner said it sat up for about a year and would not start.  He told me he cleaned out the tank and put in a new fuel pump. The car ran OK for a while but started dying after restarted hot and after about 20,000 miles died completely.  So I had the gas tank cleaned again and a new fuel pump put in. I had replaced many fuel filters, used 93 octane Chevron gas and put Techroline in the tank many times.  Just recently it died after a warm restart, so I changed the filter and put in more techroline.  I wish I had put a new tank in it instead of just cleaning it!  Also, all of the gas in this area (Alabama) has "up to 10% ethanol" but I am not sure that has any thing to do with it, as it started running rough way before the ethanol was added to the gas.
Anyways, good luck!     Mike M

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:17:35 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog