NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Tail fuse  (Read 3745 times)

84recarogirl

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Tail fuse
« on: May 17, 2007, 03:20:14 PM »
I've been having this problem for a few weeks now. When I go to turn on my headlights, my tail fuse blows. Every time. So now because of this I can't drive at night. I've traced all the wires and can't find a short to ground and i've ohm'd everything and all seem to check out ok. What else could be causing that short. Yesterday, I found out that the battery was too big for the car, and so I bought a new one hoping that the new batt would also fix my headlight issue. But no luck.
If anyone has ever had this problem before, it would be great to know how to fix it.
I have a 84 T/A Recaro with the V8 305.

Thanks

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: Tail fuse
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:13:56 PM »
HI:

The Fuse Blown Blues!

Assuming you did the basic preliminary and you are certain the wires, wire harness is in good condition, not frayed, no loose connections, no added high powered accessory taped in etc. try inspecting and / or replacing the light switch assembly sometimes thou rare the light switch assembly can be come defective in time.

Also by having a battery that is to big ie. // a battery that has mega- cold-cranking amps will not help prevent a shorting condition.

Hope This Helps  ;D

Justin K.
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

Bill Simcox

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 07:48:34 AM »
To add a note to Justin's email about rare instances of blown fuses.  Although rare, I have found several cases where a defective bulb caused blown fuses. If you haven't already done so, visually check all the running lights and see if you maybe have a dislodged filament causing your problem.
I hope you are able to find the problem quickly, because day light only crusin' isn't the best thing that can happen, especially this time of year.

Bill

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 07:48:34 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog