NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Hello! New member with questions regarding 700R4 tranny  (Read 3696 times)

AAMD80ORD

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
Hello! New member with questions regarding 700R4 tranny
« on: May 18, 2007, 06:05:05 AM »
Hi

My name is Chuck.  Around 18 years ago, I used to own a charcoal grey 1984 firebird s/e.  Great car, had lots of fun, but the 700R4 tranny was just too tempermental.  Had it replaced 3 times over a 4 year period!  But I still have this nagging desire to own something like it again.  The process has not been easy since my primary responsibility in life right now is for my wife and kids, justfying a third car is a tad bit frivolous!  Anyway, that said, My wife and I have concluded that next year may be the year to look into a 84-89 T/A or GTA. 

This has started a re-learning process for me as far as what to look for in my next firebird.  I know I want automatic trans, T-Tops, all original if possible, T/A or GTA.   

Is there a way to somewhat insure that the 700R4 trans. will operate more reliably?  As a side note, I never raced my previous car, it had only a V-6-- I was still 18-22 years old, but I felt I wasn't all that immature with it. Which is why I cannot understand why that tranny gave out so much. ???

Also, I am eyeing as a future purchase a 1985 T/A with a stock LG4 5.0 liter V-8.  Was the WS6 package standard?  How can I find out
if the car has this? Is it presented on the VIN?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks and God Bless!

Chuck

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: Hello! New member with questions regarding 700R4 tranny
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 02:03:20 AM »
HI: Chuck //

& Hello New Fellow Club Member

That’s unfortunate, that you had so much trouble with your 700-R4, I my self on a personal note; had no trouble with my 700-R4 Transmission in all the years I owned my ’85 T/A course in my case I’m a tad extreme / changing my Oil & Transmission fluid once a month // course that’s me.

As far as “a way to somewhat insure that the 700-R4 trans. will operate more reliable” The best advise I can give you is that you should check your transmission fluid periodically making sure you have an adequate amount of transmission fluid in your transmission and at least; change your transmission fluid and filter / at least every 15,000 miles, and of course you can also up-grade an older 700-R4 Transmission to the newer version 700-R4 / 4L-60 Transmission or buy a TCI Transmission 700-R4 / 4L60 etc.

As far as the WS6 Performance suspension package is concerned // Yes it is standard on the T/A's.

“How can I find out” // You can verify that the car has the performance suspension package by looking at the R P O codes {Regular Production Option Codes} On the Service Parts Identification Tag found inside, on the console lid, the RPO’s are three digit combinations of letters and numbers ( Look for WS6 )..

Hope This Helps  ;D
                                                         Justin K.
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

AAMD80ORD

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 03:24:10 PM »
Thanks Justin!

Great information!
Sorry for responding much later than your post. The 1985 T/A that I was referring to has now become a possible purchase in the next month or two.  I will post some pics sometime soon to see if anybody can give me a reason NOT to look at this thing.

what engine do you have in your 85 T/A?

Chuck

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 08:48:56 PM »
HI: Chuck

I originally purchased my 1985 T/A with a stock LG4 5.0 liter V-8 and over the years I have been making some changes hear and there // I installed a LB9 5.0 Liter (TPI) along with some modifications // changed the Rally Gage Cluster to the ’86 Full Electronic Rally Gage Cluster, went from semi-posi to posi {Limited-Slip} Rear End, changed the Rear Gear Raito etc. etc., and I'm thinking of installing a crate engine.

Justin K. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 09:28:18 PM by T/A JLK »
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 08:48:56 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog