NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Should Pontiac's RWD coupe be called the Trans Am?  (Read 3484 times)

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Should Pontiac's RWD coupe be called the Trans Am?
« on: June 04, 2007, 12:24:32 AM »
In its latest issue, Winding Road calls the fact that Pontiac will get its own rear-wheel drive coupe based on the same Zeta architecture (sorry, "Global RWD platform" is the new official name) used by the upcoming Camaro is a "poorly kept secret". We weren't aware the decision to give Pontiac a piece of the pie was so solid, but are pleased to hear the news nonetheless.

When a new rear-wheel drive Pontiac debuts sometime around 2010 as a 2011 model, however, what should it be called? The obvious choice is to reuse the GTO moniker that was controversially slapped on the back of a Holden Monaro coupe and sold in the U.S. from 2003 to 2006. But what's a Camaro without a Firebird Trans Am twin, we ask? GM still retains the rights to those names, and as the speculative rendering done by Poblete proves, Burt Reynolds' most famous ride looks damn good updated for the new millennium! I'll be honest with everyone, I've never been the new Camaro's #1 fan in terms of design, but I could get behind a Trans Am that looks good, screaming chicken and all.

by John Neff

If you agree let GM and Pontiac know at General Motors Corporation, Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232 or 480-210-701 or www.gm.com/gmcomjsp/contactus .
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 11:02:12 PM by firebirdclub »
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

68 RS/SS Ragtop

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
Re: Should Pontiac's RWD coupe be called the Trans Am?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:04:46 AM »
On this issue I don't think it's a matter of how hard we scream as enthusiasts. GM has 35 years of sales data and I think it's a matter of which namebadge is going to generate the most $. I'm sure they've formulated in the difference of the model years availability between the two. I'd certainly like to see Firebird/Trans Am return.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 08:24:04 PM by firebirdclub »

miketransamkid

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 10:34:31 AM »
Agreed. I dont think it would go the way of the GTO cause it did soooooo poorly cause it didnt have its own designing cues. it was ripped off the holden. If they would with that redone retro 2nd gen look i think they would have great sales. Now this is gonna be really far fetched. But to come up with a modern day Poncho 400 for it. yea yea i'll keep dreamin for that.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 10:34:31 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog