NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: transmission or engine?  (Read 5142 times)

insomnia

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
transmission or engine?
« on: July 07, 2007, 01:20:23 PM »
I'm not sure if my engine is seized up or my transmission is at fault.  What is the easiest way to disengage or tell if my transmission is engaged?  Please reply

craig

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: transmission or engine?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 07:41:45 PM »

HI: Craig

Transmission or Engine Seized / That Is The Question??

The easiest way to tell if you have Transmission trouble is if your engine is running and if it is in drive or reverse and you step on the gas a little and you donít move or hardly move // You have Trans., trouble!!

Hope This Helps

Justin K.   
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

rangernut09011980

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 01:50:11 PM »
the easiest way i know of is to remove the torque convertor to flywheel bolts and try to start engine if the car has been sitting for an extended period of time   pull the plugs  use an air blower and blow out all of the cylinders  and make sure they are not full of fuel  the engine may be seized from sitting (damned rust) mine was!!!  after blowing out the cylinders buy a gallon can of WD40 and some marvel mystery oil put some WD40 in all of the cylinders and let it sit for a few days this will start to break up the rust follow that with the marvel mystery oil and let it sit for a few more days  then try to spin over the engine and see if it has freed up I put mine on jack stands and ended up using a jack and a flat head screwdriver to rotate the engine at the flywheel mine had sat for almost 3 years now it is freed up and spins over quite nicely

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 01:50:11 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog