NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 5.0 H.O. V-8 PROBLEMS??  (Read 4420 times)

AAMD80ORD

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
5.0 H.O. V-8 PROBLEMS??
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:45:39 PM »
Is it true that the 5.0 H.O. V-8 that was used between 1984-1986 (L69-I believe) was prone to overheating problems? I was considering this as my engine of choice for that model year range, if I couldn't find a TPI, has anybody encountered problems with this engine?

Thanks
Chuck B.

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: 5.0 H.O. V-8 PROBLEMS??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 07:17:43 PM »
Hi: Chuck

The Choice Of Engine!

{YES}/ The 5.0L. Engine (Vin. Code “G”) [L69] was used from 1984 to 1986

I didn’t personally run across any L69’s that ran to hot; as normal / other then engine’s in general; that had a defective Thermostat, water pump; or a clogged cooling system, etc. do to poor maintenance! 

Did you consider using a later model Engine?

1988-1992 etc.

You can also consider using a 350cu. (5.7L.) as appose to a 305L.since a 305 can never quite be what a 350 can be // I my self converted my 305cu. (5.0L.)[Vin. “H”] to a TPI with some modifications for a little extra zip // however I plan to convert to a crate Engine with the TPI added / If you plan to cop,- an Engine from the local auto bone-yard try to have the Engine run tested before you have the auto bone-yard personal pull it. / I my self had no over-heat problems with my engine before or after the conversion // if you plan to convert your carb.-ed engine to a TPI it is quite an under taking, Electrical, Fuel, Cooling etc.

Hope This Helps ;D
                      Justin K.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 07:20:11 PM by T/A JLK »
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

AAMD80ORD

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 01:22:33 PM »
Thanks Justin!

Wow, you converted a LG4 into a TPI?  Pretty cool.  I don't have the mech. know-how, but that sounds like a big job.
I read something in a book called "FIREBIRD TRANS AM" muscle car color history, very good read by the way, about the overheating problems.  I was kind of bummed when I read it since I have my eyes set on a 1984 T/A
http://automotivewarehouses.com/showcar.cgi?19841355216_29732sc_0_1001640 

Anyway, thanks for the info, heck I'd like an LS1 in a 1984 charcoal grey S/E, whatta sleeper that would be.

AAMD80ORD

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 01:27:37 PM »
About that link I posted, I don't know why the owner calls it a "Firehawk"? I don't think those came out in 1984.  Plus, it doesn't look too special, it looks like a stock pontiac.

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 09:06:57 PM »
HI:Again!

As far as the “overheating problems” // to me that would just a minor set back as far as overheating is concerned there are some modern preliminary steps that you can take to cut down the heat such as changing the Thermostat along with changing the computer chip ie.

The ECM // Cal Pack. Appling a heavy duty Radiator with extra cooling, removing the EFE system ( Early Fuel Evaporation System )[Carb. Engine’s] If the butterfly valve gets stuck in the closed position in the EFE it can cause the engine to over heat // hear again just a minor set back.

Hope This Helps  ;D

Justin K.
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

AAMD80ORD

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 09:30:51 PM »
Thanks again justin!

You mentioned somthing about replacing the thermostat.
Come to think of it, on my old Firebird S/E with the H.O. V-6, I ran into overheating problems DUE TO A BAD THERMOSTAT so I think youre on to something, I shouldn't have to be too concerned with
the 5.0 H.O. after all. 

Chuck

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 09:30:51 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog