NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1991 Firebird Hatchback  (Read 4636 times)

skycabo

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
1991 Firebird Hatchback
« on: September 29, 2006, 09:12:21 AM »
I've opened my hatchback but now it won't close/catch or draw down.
I've checked the voltage to the 4 wire plug at the motor and it seems to get 12 v when the switch at the hatchback mechinism is tripped.
I need a little help please.
Is there a more detailed wire diagram and or testing method?
Thanks in advance
Phill
BTW It might be a coincidence but the car doesn't keep running after it's started. This started immediately after the hatchback was opened and has it's problem.

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: 1991 Firebird Hatchback
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 01:07:49 AM »
Phill,
I'm sure this is a little late for a response but I'll take a stab at it anyway so here goes...
It sounds like the Pull-Down mechanism [ Lock Actrator ] is not working properly; / for  preliminary starter's,
1. Try disconnecting the battery and see if the hatchback will close // an re-open with your Key
2. Examine the assembly closely to see if there is some kind of obstructions binding the mechanism.
3. With the battery disconnected use a Ohm meter; check for shorts / high resistance indications in your wire harness that operates the pull down assembly
4. Inspect the manual release button found at the lower center IP carrier area visually // also use your Ohm tester to check for shorts.
5.  If you have remote Key entry ["The transmitter handheld key remote"] try removing the battery ( a little far-fetched but try it ) also check the receiver which is found in your cars electrical system .
  If all of the above seems to check out ok chances are you will have to replace the Pull-Down assembly!

6. Remove pull down assembly and try to supply 12v.DC electrical power directly to see if you have some type of operation,
unfortunately at this point you probably have to replace the unit...

Hope This can be of some help.

Justin.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 09:20:25 AM by T/A JLK »
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: 1991 Firebird Hatchback
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 01:07:49 AM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog