NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: high pitch sound  (Read 4339 times)

kkkaz13

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
high pitch sound
« on: June 12, 2007, 09:06:22 PM »
Hi everyone, I have a 2000 WS6 with a manual tranny that I have a problem with and looking for suggestions of what may be wrong before I take it to a repair shop.  My vehicle is stored in winter, so I took it out on Sun for an Mobil 1 oil change, and after 20 mins or so of driving, a high pitch winding sound starting happening in 1st and 2nd gear, maybe in 3rd-5th, but could not hear it due to the road noise. I also hear it while accelerating in neutral. This only happens after the car has warmed up. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to take it to a mechanic listed on the site, but I'll need to drive about 30 miles to get there, and not sure if it'll make it there.   Anyone know a good and honest 4th gen mechanic in the NW suburbs of chicago?  Thanks in advance for your assistance. kk

miller95

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Re: high pitch sound
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 08:07:14 PM »
I own a 1995 pontiac trans am with a manual tranny and I had this same problem. A high pitched squealing while either idleing or squealing when I reved the engine up a little bit in neutral. What it turned out to be for me was 2 things were wrong; 1 the A/C compressor was broken and the part that attached to the belt was wobbling around which was making the belt slip, 2 the serpentine belt was sheared anyways so it was not running around the pulley the way it was supposed to. The reason that it squealed at a higher rpm was that the engine was working harder and causing the belt to slip since it could not keep up. My suggestion would be to check your belt for any kind of wear or tear but if you haven't ever replaced it, now might be the time to do so. As for your question about a mechanic, I cannot help you there because I live in Oklahoma and have only been to Chicago in the airport.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: high pitch sound
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 08:07:14 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog