NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1989 Firebird  (Read 4255 times)

pontiacfirebird

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
1989 Firebird
« on: August 10, 2007, 05:54:02 PM »
I have a 89 Firebird formula 350 TPI. When i first got the car it ran fine then one day it stalled and since then ive been able to start it and drive it but when i shut it off it wont start again for about 30 minutes. Now it dont start at all unless i use starter fluid then it starts. I thought it was a feul problem so I checked the feul pump and its good, I changed the feul filter and feul pressure regulator didnt fix anything. So I think it might be some dumb senser but I dont know which one. If anyone has any ideas what it could be please let me know.

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: 1989 Firebird
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 10:21:06 PM »
HI;

Run and No Run Restart!

ďService Engine SoonĒ

Did you check your cars computer?

Did you put your cars ECM into itís diagnostic mode and check for any trouble codes that maybe stored in your cars ECM / code 14,15,21,44 etc.

Do the following Checks:

- Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) for sticking or binding or any high TPS         
  voltage with the throttle closed it should read less than {.700 volts}

- Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) for any abnormal voltage         
   {At normal Engine operating temperature [85deg.C to 95deg.C]
    the voltage at the ECM Coolant Sensor Signal circuit will measure
   about 1.5 to 2.0 volts at the ECM] also to check the resistance
   values of the (CTS).

The Approximate (CTS) Resistance Values are as follows:

210deg.F = 185    Ohmís
   160deg.F = 450    Ohmís
   100deg.F = 1,800 Ohmís
     70deg.F = 3,400 Ohmís
     40deg.F = 7,500 Ohmís   

- Exhaust Gas Regulator (EGR) for valve seating properly.
- Loose Ignition coil ground / and bare or shorted wires.
- Ignition Pickup Coil resistance and connections.
- Distributor for proper output with a {ST-125} Tester
- For faulty In-tank Fuel Pump Check Valve (The check valve should not allow the fuel too drain back into the tank.)                               

Hope This Helps  ;D

Justin Kwarta

PS. // Also Please Note:
A good rule thumb is; that when you deal with a car with a on board computer you should always try too check your cars ECM and wiring to see if itís good to go first, before you make any repairs otherwise you can be spending a lot money for replacement parts before you find the problem!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:43:31 PM by T/A JLK »
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: 1989 Firebird
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 10:21:06 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog