NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: '89 GTA steering column  (Read 3365 times)

jasa0422

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
'89 GTA steering column
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:34:49 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find a tan steering column or somewhere I can send mine and have it rebuilt??? Any help would be great. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 11:11:43 AM by firebirdclub »

T/A JLK

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: '89 GTA steering column
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 04:16:04 PM »
HI:

With out knowing what kind of damage that your steering column has sustained that would prompt you to replace it // Generally as a rule steering columns basically out last the car there are however; some electrical and mechanical components which may need to be replaced on a rare remote basis- Ignition Switch Assembly, Turn Signal Hazard Assembly, Key Lock Assembly, Steering Wheel etc. / do to Damage, Defective or Worn out conditions.

If you want to replace your steering column for whatever reason- added options Tilt Wheel, SRS Air Bag etc., some minor physical damage or pure nostalgia; in my opinion the best and cheapest route to take; is to pay a little visit to your friendly neighborhood auto chop shop for your needs // if you take the column to a local auto shop plan to spend big $$$$$ on the recondition,
/ providing all the parts are still available.

And as far as the color of your column is concerned, you can prime and repaint any steering column to any color / Tan; or any other color that is // or you may have it repainted from a local auto paint shop for a price $$.

And if you where to buy a new steering column from the “Pontiac Dealer” if they where still available and you are willing to pay the big bucks; they come flat primed black anyway, and you will have to look up your cars interior color-code and/or codes to get the right color match.

Hope This Helps  ;D

Justin L. Kwarta
I am a NFTAC, Member and I was at one time an auto mechanic working for a local GM dealer here in my home town back in the mid-to late '80's now  I currently enjoy working on my own Pontiac's especially on my '85 T/A // making maintenance repairs, repairs, modifications and performance modifications I also enjoy meeting and /or talking to other Firebird & T/A owners an get into technical debates;hopefully just as long as the debate's doesn't go into a to heated argument.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: '89 GTA steering column
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 04:16:04 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog