NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: cadillac 472 fit into a 79 ta?  (Read 4145 times)

hallowedpunk

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
cadillac 472 fit into a 79 ta?
« on: October 05, 2006, 06:58:21 PM »
I was wondering if a 1969 cadillac 472 angine equipped with a shortshaft turbo 400 trans would fit into a 1979 trans am.  Would I need to take out the ac unit or the inner fenders or would it slide right in?  I dont want to miss ouit on the opportunity to drop 700 hp right in my ta. Please email me suggestions. hallowedpunk@yahoo.com

78tahitman

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
  • Hitman's Trans Am Page
    • Hitman's Pontiac Trans Am Page
Re: cadillac 472 fit into a 79 ta?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 10:15:04 PM »
I looked into doing that in my first 1977 Trans Am.  Yes, you would have to remove the air conditioning, part of the firewall, and also the inner fender wells would have to be cut as well.  Plus changing the motor mounts and other items as well.  It is not an easy task.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com
1978 Trans Am, 1989 Trans Am, 1998 Trans Am

Todd Stahr

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 02:13:11 PM »
Its similar to installing an Olds 455, they use similar archetecture with the Caddy. Mounts and exhuast will be the tough part, and bye bye AC, just like Hitman said.

you know, its not too difficult to get 700hp from a Pontiac. The only thing I would do differently on the one I have at that level is a IAII block, or the aluminum block Butlers have.

Using the IAII you can build a 505 real easy, add some wideports or 320-330cfm E heads and 700 on pump gas isnt too tough, its somewhat streetable too with more cubes. A 540 or so would realy grunt with 330cfm heads and a cam in the 245-260 @ .050 range. Picking a cam would be dependent on other factors, like converter, weight, intake choice, gears, etc.

Yeah an IAII based 505 shortblock doesnt come cheap, but its bulletproof and all new parts.  It would also be lighter than the Caddy, figure $10k-$15k for the IAII based 500+ engine, all up and running.

just a thought.. :)
Performance and general repair tech. Traditional Pontiac V8 is my specialty, as well as automatic transmission repair/diagonossis. 2nd gen speciality, and with the addition of the 98 Formula 4th gen LS1 I am getting to know them real well. Holley and Qjet advice as well.

Chalk mark restoration and date codes arent my thing. W.O.T. is my thing..

Is it strange to have 9 firebirds?

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 02:13:11 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog