NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Pop up headlights...  (Read 5759 times)

MikeMCL

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Pop up headlights...
« on: January 22, 2008, 11:06:40 PM »
My friend owns a TA with the pop up headlights. One of the lights will not pop up. He took it to the dealer and he was quoted 400 bucks to replace it. My question is...is there any possible way to manually raise the light and keep it that way?
Thx!

78tahitman

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
  • Hitman's Trans Am Page
    • Hitman's Pontiac Trans Am Page
Re: Pop up headlights...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 10:16:16 AM »
It depends on what it wrong with it.  It could be the gears that are stripped or it could be the motor itself.  I know with my Third Gen you can raise the lights yourself, but it is just a pain in the butt to get out and do that all the time.  Find out from the dealer what was wrong with them.  You can still buy replacement parts and do the job yourself to save the money.  There are alot of places that sell rebuild kits or the motors.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com
1978 Trans Am, 1989 Trans Am, 1998 Trans Am

Todd Stahr

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:31:43 PM »
You can pick up a motor from the dealer for around $150, my 98 did the same thing. It wasnt tough to replace, and come to think of it I should have made a tech article on it or something. Took me about two hours but I was taking my time with it.

Sometimes you can turn the gear around 180 degrees, so it rides on the teeth that arent stripped, sometimes you cant. When you cant there is little to do but replace it.
Performance and general repair tech. Traditional Pontiac V8 is my specialty, as well as automatic transmission repair/diagonossis. 2nd gen speciality, and with the addition of the 98 Formula 4th gen LS1 I am getting to know them real well. Holley and Qjet advice as well.

Chalk mark restoration and date codes arent my thing. W.O.T. is my thing..

Is it strange to have 9 firebirds?

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:31:43 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog