NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1984 Trans Am rochester 4bbl carburetor ticking noise  (Read 6010 times)

chewietoo

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
1984 Trans Am rochester 4bbl carburetor ticking noise
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
I was working on a friends 1984 Trans Am and noticed an odd noise coming from the engine. With the key on and engine off there is a constant ticking coming from the carburetor. Any ideas what this could be? Also, this is an electronic carb with electric choke and 2 more multi-wire leads running to the front top of the carb. What are these leads for? If I were to just bolt up an Edelbrock or Holley carb, would the car run ok with these leads no longer connected? This is virgin territory for me because my '73 400 doesn't have any of these wires. Thanks for any info you guys can give.

BillMcGill

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Re: 1984 Trans Am rochester 4bbl carburetor ticking noise
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »
I also have an 84 TA (15th Aniversary) with carb. problems that are more serious than a noise. The car will run good for a while and just die on the highway. Fuel pump and lines have been checked and I suspect that the problem might be with the computer control system. Are parts still available?  Since the car no longer has to pass an emmissions test, I might like to repalce the carb with one without computer controls. Is this possible?  If it is, any recommendations?  I have been told that if the control circuits are bypassed, the check engine light might come on. This could be an inspection problem even if i don't have to have an emissions test.  Thanks for any help.
                                                                  billmcgill@verizon.net

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 12:29:04 PM »
I also have an 84 TA (15th Aniversary) with carb. problems that are more serious than a noise. The car will run good for a while and just die on the highway. Fuel pump and lines have been checked and I suspect that the problem might be with the computer control system. Are parts still available?  Since the car no longer has to pass an emmissions test, I might like to repalce the carb with one without computer controls. Is this possible?  If it is, any recommendations?  I have been told that if the control circuits are bypassed, the check engine light might come on. This could be an inspection problem even if i don't have to have an emissions test.  Thanks for any help.
                                                                  billmcgill@verizon.net

I have actually done this (or the previous owner did, rather).  The Rochester was replaced with an Edelbrock 1405 600cfm carb, Performer 2101 intake, and a vacuum advance (this is the important piece).  Carb tuning is a little trickier, but my T/A (an '83) runs beautifully.  Yes, the Check Engine light comes on and stays on.  It's annoying, but I can deal with it.  My ECM is sitting on my garage floor and the car runs just fine...and passed inspection in NC, where they're so anal, my car HAS to have a catalytic converter (at least in appearance  ;) ). 

As for the ticking, if I had to guess, I'd say it has something to do with priming, especially if it doesn't happen while the engine is running.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:32:47 PM by ThunderChicken »
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 12:29:04 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog