NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1978 Front Nose & Grilles  (Read 2670 times)

january2008

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
1978 Front Nose & Grilles
« on: March 19, 2008, 04:05:53 PM »
Hi,

I just joined the club over the weekend.  I have a 1979 Firebird just like the one from The Rockford Files, of course with two exceptions...the front and back end are different since the last season of Rockford they used a 78.  I was told I can attach a 78 nose and grille, headlights etc to my 79.

Is this possible? And if it is, where can I find the complete front nose and grille.

Thanks,

Robert Howe
Scripts360@aol.com

78tahitman

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
  • Hitman's Trans Am Page
    • Hitman's Pontiac Trans Am Page
Re: 1978 Front Nose & Grilles
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 02:02:44 PM »
Yes, you can swap a 1979 fron nose to a 1978 front nose.  They bolt up pretty much the same if you have all of the brackets from the 78 nose.  So, you just can't grab the front nose, you also have to grab all of the supports and brackets behind it to do the swap.  The tail is a little different because of the rear tail panel. The rear bumper can be changed easy enough again with all of the support brackets from the 1978. The tail light swap is a little tougher. The rear tail panel on the 1978 is out towards the rear bumper more and you can change the lightbulbs from inside the trunk.  The tail panel on the 1979 is in-set more in towards the trunk where you have to change the light bulbs by removing the tail lights.  So, you can swap the tail panel which involes cutting and welding, or you can put spacers on the 78 tail lights to make them fit on the 79 tail panel. There is also the issus of the gas filler neck... it is longer on a 1979 than 1978 so you would have to change that as well and shorten the filler neck because of the way the license plate bracket is.  So, it can be done, but there is work involved.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com
1978 Trans Am, 1989 Trans Am, 1998 Trans Am

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: 1978 Front Nose & Grilles
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 02:02:44 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog