NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1968 Firebird 400 Coup  (Read 2406 times)

68birdman

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
1968 Firebird 400 Coup
« on: May 11, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
Hello, new to this. I have a 68 pontiac 400 that the previous owner put a front disc brake system on (pwr). The issue is the calipers appear to be wrong since they are 4 piston and are scraping on the rotor center. I was wondering what calipers are the right ones? I assume I can use the spindles just need to replace calipers, rotors and pads.  Thanks Steve

Bill Simcox

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: 1968 Firebird 400 Coup
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:45:35 PM »
Steve:

I have learned never to make the assumption that the last guy that worked on a vehicle knew what he was doing. Saves a lot of time, frustration and aggrevation. Without knowing the supplier of the parts the previous owner installed you are at a disadvantage. Some aftermarket kits are super and others are horrible.
The four piston style was available from the factory on the 68 models as part of an optional brake-shock-suspension package. Anticipation of their upcoming Trans-Am Series involvement no doubt.
If the calipers are contacting the center of the rotors, I would be more inclined to think that if everything is mounted correctly, right backing plates etc., the calipers might wrong, or worse yet, an aftemarket brand that isn't right.
I would go to my local parts store, NAPA, Autozone, etc. and acquire one single piston caliper and see how it fits. Might cure the problem, or at least lead you in the right direction.

Bill Simcox
NFTAC Tech Staff

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

Re: 1968 Firebird 400 Coup
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:45:35 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog