NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Engine Stalls  (Read 7353 times)

carattini

• Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
Engine Stalls
« on: May 15, 2008, 12:00:53 PM »
When started cold it idles great but if you press the pedal like ľ in it stalls and almost dies.  I you put the pedal to the floor the problem goes away and it sounds great. After driving a while and reaching normal temp 160 to 190 degrees, the problem seems to disappear but I know there is still something wrong by the way it sounds, even if it does not stall in the ľ range. It still doesnít sound right and I think it is lacking some power. Iíve never have a car like this before and I donít Know how they drive to begin with, but I was expecting more out of it and that is why I think it still have an issue even after it get better.  Can anyone help.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 09:45:11 AM by firebirdclub »
David Reyes Carattini
Programmer
Car Enthusiast

len2ore

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Re: Engine Stalls
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 07:20:47 PM »
I have a similar problem.  Car stalls when changing gear from Drive to reverse or sitting at a red light.  I have a 1986 Firebird V6.  I am the original owner. have taken great care of the car, and have only about 95,000 miles on the car!  Since Sept '09 I have replaced the alternator, battery, mass air flow sensor and idle air control motor.  Does anyone have any idea what I can do?  I love this car, but may have to get rid of it if I can't fix this issue.  Does anyone have any ideas???

ThunderChicken

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
  • It's a sickness...
    • Firebird Fest of the Carolinas
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:42:30 PM »
When started cold it idles great but if you press the pedal like ľ in it stalls and almost dies.  I you put the pedal to the floor the problem goes away and it sounds great. After driving a while and reaching normal temp 160 to 190 degrees, the problem seems to disappear but I know there is still something wrong by the way it sounds, even if it does not stall in the ľ range. It still doesnít sound right and I think it is lacking some power. Iíve never have a car like this before and I donít Know how they drive to begin with, but I was expecting more out of it and that is why I think it still have an issue even after it get better.  Can anyone help.

Your car, I'm guessing, is a carbed model??  It sounds to me like the choke needs to be adjusted if that's the case.  You're flooding out in the open-loop (cold) and sounds like you're running REALLY rich in the closed-loop (warm) stage.

I have a similar problem.  Car stalls when changing gear from Drive to reverse or sitting at a red light.  I have a 1986 Firebird V6.  I am the original owner. have taken great care of the car, and have only about 95,000 miles on the car!  Since Sept '09 I have replaced the alternator, battery, mass air flow sensor and idle air control motor.  Does anyone have any idea what I can do?  I love this car, but may have to get rid of it if I can't fix this issue.  Does anyone have any ideas???

Yours, I'm thinking, is a Throttle Position Sensor.  Are you throwing any codes??  The TPS can make the car tend toward stalling in the lower RPM band, particularly when you drop a load on it.  I would swap that out.  It's cheap and easy.  It's right below the IAC.  Disconnect the battery, swap out the TPS, plug in the sensor, then, after ten minutes, reconnect the battery.  That's it....you're done!  If that doesn't work, come back and tell me, but that's where I'd begin.
Bethany
1988 Flame Red GTA, 305 TPI--Bone stock heart, Flowmaster exhaust, Wonderbar coming soon!
1995 Medium Teal Blue Metallic V6 Firebird

Stock(ish) 1983 Black and Gold T/A, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Performer 2101 Intake-SOLD

4SPEED

• NFTAC Member
  • Message Board Member not current NFTAC Club Member
  • Ohio Firebird Member
  • Firebird or Trans Am informaton: '79 white Trans Am
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:46:05 PM »
yep what she said, 8)   
these aren't injected cars. they got to worm up.  with the q-jet carbs, it could be the choke, vacuum leak, or just ready to be rebuilt, timing could be off to. or both cam & timing chain worn out.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:46:05 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog