NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: water leaks  (Read 5045 times)

JoeDP

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
water leaks
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:46:25 PM »
Hey guys my 79 T/A hardtop is leaking on the passenger side front and from what I can see the water is tracking down behind the kick panel just inches ahead of the passenger door. I suspect that the water is getting past the door seal close to the windshield and crossing behind the kick panel trim. I packed some sealing dope behind the kick panel trim (where it covers the flat weld at the front of the door jam) and it appears to have reduced it some. Am I on the right track? My Drivers side also leaks but only when I am driving in the rain where it might possibly be comming in under the threshold. Both floors are rust free and I hope to keep them that way.

Todd Stahr

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
Re: water leaks
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 03:30:03 PM »
can you pull the kick panel and post some pics? If its a no AC car it will have vents behind the panel, they could be leaking if water can get into the vent. Check the seals and remove anything that isnt supposed to be there, like twigs and leaves.

If there is a large amount of leaves and other stuff under the hood at the base of the windshield, it could have rusted the cowl allowing water to leak inside the car. Pull the screens (they are supposed to be there anyway ;) ) and feel around under the cowl, pull out any trash that you may find.

Just a thought, since I cant actually see your car. :)
Performance and general repair tech. Traditional Pontiac V8 is my specialty, as well as automatic transmission repair/diagonossis. 2nd gen speciality, and with the addition of the 98 Formula 4th gen LS1 I am getting to know them real well. Holley and Qjet advice as well.

Chalk mark restoration and date codes arent my thing. W.O.T. is my thing..

Is it strange to have 9 firebirds?

metallicelmo

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 08:54:07 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new here, live in Holland..
I recently got myself a '89 firebird which seems to have the same problem.. I can see that the cowl under the windshield has some small rustholes due to all the rain we have in Holland... Whenever it raines, water simply leaks straight into the car flooding the passenside floorboard.. I've also checked this with a bottle of water.. Same thing happens..
What can I do to fix these holes? Welding is no option cause I need to strip the dash/engine... Are there any other fixes I could try?
Hopefully you can give me some tips.. Thanks!  :D
My neighbor's children start crying when I start my car.. Can you believe it..

Todd Stahr

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »
Hi guys, I'm new here, live in Holland..
I recently got myself a '89 firebird which seems to have the same problem.. I can see that the cowl under the windshield has some small rustholes due to all the rain we have in Holland... Whenever it raines, water simply leaks straight into the car flooding the passenside floorboard.. I've also checked this with a bottle of water.. Same thing happens..
What can I do to fix these holes? Welding is no option cause I need to strip the dash/engine... Are there any other fixes I could try?
Hopefully you can give me some tips.. Thanks!  :D

You could do something the Mustang owners have been doing, make covers for the cowl vent area to keep the rain out. Seal them up so they are water proof and no more leaks. You will need to get more air in to run the heater and AC though, not that AC is really needed in Holland, but a heater is. You could open a small section on the vertical part of the firewall to allow more air in. Not exactly the right way to do it, but it would work.

The correct way is to pull the dash, cut out the rusted metal, then replace it with good metal. Yes it is a rather large job to do, but the only way to do it right.
Performance and general repair tech. Traditional Pontiac V8 is my specialty, as well as automatic transmission repair/diagonossis. 2nd gen speciality, and with the addition of the 98 Formula 4th gen LS1 I am getting to know them real well. Holley and Qjet advice as well.

Chalk mark restoration and date codes arent my thing. W.O.T. is my thing..

Is it strange to have 9 firebirds?

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog