NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: 1979 trans am "Smokey and the Bandit" car  (Read 9327 times)

ttaylor

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
1979 trans am "Smokey and the Bandit" car
« on: July 10, 2008, 10:02:22 AM »
I am thinking about selling my 1979 trans am.  It is all original with matching numbers and only 68,000 original miles.  Pontiac 400/4 speed/T-Tops.  The only parts that are not original are - the hood, carpeting, roof liner, rear deck panel and radio.  Original paint still looks good, but has a couple of faded spots. Car has been garaged for the last 10 years and is driven every month and runs great.  There are a couple of small dents on the fenders.  The body lines are straight.  I've been told that the car as it sits could be worth anywhere from $20,000.00 to $25,000.00, since the numbers match and it is basically all original with the low mileage.  I am looking for an honest opinion from any of you club members who know a lot more about these cars than I do.  Photos available.

Thank you

78tahitman

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
  • Hitman's Trans Am Page
    • Hitman's Pontiac Trans Am Page
Re: 1979 trans am "Smokey and the Bandit" car
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 01:09:06 PM »
Well, it is hard to say without seeing photos of the car, but what I can tell you, if the car is a normal 1979 Trans Am 400 4-Speed with T-tops, it is one of only 2,917 of them made for 1979.  With 68,000 Original miles and everything in MINT Condition (including the paint) with nothing needed to be done to the car at all, then yes, $20,000 to $25,000.  But if thee car needs work, then you need to subtract that from the price.  So, if the car needs repainted and dents taken out, then subtract about $5,500 to do new paint and decals.  Now, if the car is a Special Edition 1979 Trans Am 400 4-speed with T-tops, it is only one of 1,107 of them made for 1979.  So, IF the car is a True Special Edition, then the value would be about $35,000 in MINT Condition or maybe about $25,000 or more as it sits.  Do you have any photos of the car that you can post or know if the car is a Special Edition or not?
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com
1978 Trans Am, 1989 Trans Am, 1998 Trans Am

ttaylor

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:45:55 AM »
Thanks for your response.  Yes, I have some photos. The car does need some work - small dents, paint/decal, power antenna, front suspension, a/c compressor, power door locks, window felt and rollers, T-Top and window moldings.  

78tahitman

• Hitman's Trans Am Page
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:26:53 AM »
Well,.... a couple of things to talk about there.  First, it looks like maybe your car is a Special Edition car, so that is a positive thing.  But that is about where the positive things end.  So, lets jump back to my original response of that the 1979 Special Edition 400/4-Speed would be worth $35,000 in MINT condition.  By looking at the photos of your car that you posted, here are the things that I see that would need to be done in order to get the car into MINT condition (and this is just going by what I can "see" in the photos):
New Paint and Decals - $5,500
Body Work for rust repair - $1,000 (by looking at the open door drivers side photo)
All New weatherstirpping all the way around - $475
New Door Panels - $300
New Seat Covers - $500
New Carpet - $140 (one in the car is not the right color)
New Interior Panels and trim parts- $1,170 (you can see in the photos that many of them are dry rotted and scratched)
Total cost - $9,085 (so far)

Now, you say that these items need to be replaced:
Front Suspension - $449 (complete)
A/C Compressor - $180 (plus system would need to be re-charged again for about $150)
Power Door Locks - $60
Window Felt and Rollers - $110
Total of what you mentioned - $799

Now, another thing to let you know, most of the prices listed above besides the paint and body work are all just parts costs and does not include the price for anyone to install it. So, you can use the prices above if YOU install all those parts yourself and do the work yourself.  If you have to pay someone to do it, then the cost will be higher.  Now again, this is just going by what I can see in the photos to bring the car to MINT condition.  There probably is a few little things that I did not add in there(like that broken seat belt guide on the drivers side near the floor).  So, right now, we are at about $10,000 and I have not even seen the engine compartment, the trunk, or the undercarriage.

No, I am not trying to chop your car down, I am just trying to be realistic and give you an idea from what I can see.  I have restored and sold over 90 Trans Ams in the last 5 years to places all over the world so I do have some experience with them.  Also, by what I see in the photos, I am hard pressed to agree with you that it is 68,000 original miles.  From what I can tell from the photos, my guess would be 168,000 miles on the car.

So, I hate to bring down bad news about all these thing to be done to the car, but I am just trying to tell you my Professional Opinion about what I can see and what needs to be done.  So, I don't know who mentioned the $20,000 to $25,000 price range, but I think I would put it in maybe the $17,000 prie range give or take.  With other photos of the engine and trunk and underside I could give you more of an idea.  I hope I didn't go into too much detail and ramble on here too long.  If you have more questions, let me know.  If you need help on finding parts or what to do and what not to do, or if you want to sell it, I can help as well.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com

78tahitman

• Hitman's Trans Am Page
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com

Todd Stahr

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:22:23 PM »
As a low mileage survivor I wouldnt mess with it much if at all. For some people originality means more than fresh paint. Just my opinion about it.

Its still a very nice car in decent shape. No it isnt mint but it isnt as ugly as some of mine. :) What its worth really matters if you are going to sell it or insuring it with collector car insurance. If you are still enjoying it and not planning on selling it, then its value is what it is worth to you. Different people will pay different amounts for the same car, me I could give you two in trade and thats about it. Ok maybe three, but I pick which three.

Like the saying goes, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It is a rare and desirable Pontiac though, so it isnt cheap by any means.
Performance and general repair tech. Traditional Pontiac V8 is my specialty, as well as automatic transmission repair/diagonossis. 2nd gen speciality, and with the addition of the 98 Formula 4th gen LS1 I am getting to know them real well. Holley and Qjet advice as well.

Chalk mark restoration and date codes arent my thing. W.O.T. is my thing..

Is it strange to have 9 firebirds?

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:22:23 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog