NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Headlight Motor Gear  (Read 5376 times)

SueAnn

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Headlight Motor Gear
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:01:12 AM »
I purchased my 1997 Firebird TA in April. There was an existing problem with the driver's side headlight--the gear was stripped. My husband replaced it with the recommended (plastic) gear and it worked beautifully! However, Wed. eve when I shut off the lights, the grinding noise had returned. The gear was stripped again. It has only been 2-1/2 mos. since replacement and a one handful of times when I used the headlights. The passenger side headlight is A-OK (knock on wood). What would cause this brand new gear to strip again? I am hesitant to replace it again for fear that it do this again. I am considering replacing the gear with an aluminum one. You don't think that would wreck up the motor in any way, do you?

Any advice that you can provide will be much appreciated.

SueAnn

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: Headlight Motor Gear
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:15:32 AM »
Look at the club's website at www.firebirdtaclub.com in the technical section.  There are some topics on headlight repair there.  Good luck.  Join the club!

Frank
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

Todd Stahr

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »
Sue I have a 98 and the gears went south. Someone had botched a repair on it previously, so swapping the gear around 180 degrees wasnt going to work. I bit the bullet and bought a new motor from a dealer, yeah they are pricey.
Performance and general repair tech. Traditional Pontiac V8 is my specialty, as well as automatic transmission repair/diagonossis. 2nd gen speciality, and with the addition of the 98 Formula 4th gen LS1 I am getting to know them real well. Holley and Qjet advice as well.

Chalk mark restoration and date codes arent my thing. W.O.T. is my thing..

Is it strange to have 9 firebirds?

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog