NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Smokey or Paint 80  (Read 3525 times)

s-soft

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
Smokey or Paint 80
« on: July 31, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
hi, it's my first time posting on here, i had a question, i have been working on trans ams for years but i'm faced with a decision to make, i own a 1980 trans am ws6 paint code 80 needs new rear quarters, and i know a guy who has a 77 smokey and the bandit edition t/a wants 1500 and needs a little bit more body work, which do you guys think will be worth more and more rare in the long run?

78tahitman

• Firebird & Trans Am Club Tech Staff
  • Hitman's Trans Am Page
    • Hitman's Pontiac Trans Am Page
Re: Smokey or Paint 80
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 08:29:45 PM »
Now, I am no fortune teller, but if we look at today's numbers of these cars, then the 1977 Special Edition Trans Am will be worth more money.  With all things being equal.... meaning, they both have matching numbers engines and transmissions, color codes, etc., then the 1977 will hold the value better.  Most people associate the Trans Am with the Smokey and the Bandit movie in 1977 and which brought great popularity to the car and sales sky-rocketed after that.  Also, 1977 still had the "big" motors from Pontiac like the Olds 403 and the Pontiac 400.  In 1980, you were limited on engine sizes to a 301, a 301 Turbo, or a 305.  So that also makes the 1977 a little more desirable.  But you need t0o make sure that the car is a "Matching Numbers" car as well as your 1980. 

Now, with all of that being said, here is also a little bit of advice I will tell you..... This will be YOUR car paid for with YOUR money, so don't let anyone tell you what to buy, how to paint it, or what to make the car.  It is YOUR car and you should do what you feel is best.  I know some people who favor the 1979-1981 Trans Ams because of the front nose and rear tail-light stylings.  There is also the other side of the fence for 1977-1978.  So, everyone has their own "Favorite" year and what they like.  So, you need to ask yourself what YOU think you will like better.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com
1978 Trans Am, 1989 Trans Am, 1998 Trans Am

s-soft

• Message Board Member but not a NFTAC Club Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 01:58:31 PM »
ya, i just didn't know, personally i love the smokey and the bandit edition t/a's i just didn't know which is more unique, i've seen probably 8 smokey t/a's driving around in the last few years, but my paint code 80 is the only one like it that i've ever seen besides in a magazine, i've even talked to a few people and said i have a paint code 80 they looked like they were about to poop themselves lol. so i just didn't know which was more rare.

National Firebird and Trans Am Club Message Board

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 01:58:31 PM »

NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog